Long crank start

Flick the key to on twice before cranking that helps with my '87 at @300,000 miles.

Yeah, that could help, since the pump would be priming twice before trying to start. Hadn't though of that.

I just dealt with it on my 88 XJ cause it would always start, just took a few seconds. Didn't really matter.

the engine's won't fire quickly because of the Crankshaft position sensor, it takes at least a full revolution of the motor to be sure when to fire and then fires...

other cars start quickly (IE gm motors) because they either remember where it was, or guess and adjust quickly

a new CPS with the replacement harness (runs the wires from the CPS directly to the computer instead of through the wire harness) will decrease time's a little but not much its still gonna take a few cranks

is there someone who makes a conversion so that the start up is like a GM?

Something like this would be a waste of money. All of the 4.0 i have ever had took a while to start. Thats just the way they are theres nothing wrong with it and its not hurting anything.

is there someone who makes a conversion so that the start up is like a GM?

Something like this would be a waste of money. All of the 4.0 i have ever had took a while to start. Thats just the way they are theres nothing wrong with it and its not hurting anything.

Its a computer thing on GMs and others. Thats the way the programming is in it so that it happens this way. To do a conversion you would have to have some kinda source to send a feed to the ECU to trick it into thinking its time to fire or one that olds the memory of where the engine stopped so it knows it can fire first shot. I don't see any issues with a long start. The only time it might be a concern is if you are tyring to get away really fast from something and that 3 seconds might cause you harm. I wouldnt worry with it other then maybe upgrading your ignition so that when it does fire it is good and strong. You can get High output coils from ebay for 30 bucks and they work awesome from the two i have seen in use. Then go to the auto store and get heavy duty distributor cap and rotor and maybe bigger wires. With the new coil you can run a .65 gap on the plugs. See link for details

Cole

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-Cherokee-45K-Volt-Ignition-Coil-Upgrade_W0QQitemZ250178195911QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33689QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem