fixing up my 91

good afternoon guys. Few questions. Originally I was going to  sell this and just stick with my Cherokee but since I have not gotten a good  offered. I going to keep it. Jeeps don't sell for much here unless they  are heavily modify apparently.  It has some body damage as you can see. If 95% rust free. I was told by a friend 700 to weld up the few holes and fix the body damage. stock 4.0 and the five-speed. Has a tuneup. Still doesn't run smooth. I thought the tuneup would fix it I was wrong.  there's a hesitation. New battery, starter and oil. Fuel filters in the mail. Has a 3 inch lift with unknown adjustable arms. How will short arms do with about 5 inches of lift? I am thinking about clearance  the fenders and going for  35's. has a locker in the front.  like to pick up a locker for the Dana 44 and rebuild it. I was thinking about a Spartan. Made a guy near me an offer on transfer case with a sye. so this is my plans for the beginning. have a good Sunday guys. Looking forward to enjoying the mj

20200531_150422.jpg

20200531_150435.jpg

20200531_150354.jpg

20200531_150405.jpg

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Are you sure your truck is a 91? It has a lot of indicators that would make it an 86. 

14 minutes ago, MontanaManche said:

it would have to be at minimum a 87, i don't think the 4.0 was offered in 86

Early style grill and Comanche badge say pre-91.

And, weren't Laredo models only available 87-89?

1 hour ago, MontanaManche said:

it would have to be at minimum a 87, i don't think the 4.0 was offered in 86

Could be a swap

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Early style grill and Comanche badge say pre-91.

And, weren't Laredo models only available 87-89?

10 slot would narrow it between a 86-87 unless swapped, same with the name plates and yes Laredos were 87-92.

• 4 weeks later...

whats  going on guys. Been a while since I have been on here. I was offered a decent price and I sold it. It's a 4.0 five speed manual. What should the gear ratio be?   a friend  said the front axle must've been replaced since there was no disconnect. When I had the cover off I pulled these numbers off the ring gear11 08 09 dana d 48382 p8l7-756 3911. thanks for the help guys have a good one.

okay great. I need to pull the rear diff cover and double check. Try to help the new owner get this truck into shape. The title does say 91. Other than a few body differences.  the drive lines all the same?

so the last four digits on Dana axle is the gear ratio. Didn't know that one

the drivelines are the same and different.  all depends on what particular item you're talking about. 

a quick way to check gear ratio is to jack up one tire, put the trans in neutral, and rotate it around exactly twice while you count the times the driveshaft spins.  3 and a half is 3.55 while just over 4 is 4.10, etc.  if the axle has a posi, then you'd need to jack up both rear tires and rotate them around once.