My hoopty XJ.

I've been tinkering on my XJ for a few years now.  It's my second XJ.  My first one was my daily driver back when it was new.

This one is a 2001.  It has a Rubicon Express 3" lift and 265/75R16 tires on cheap Quadratec wheels.  The original axles are gone.  The XJ Dana 44 I swapped in has 4.56 gears, a Truetrac, and disc brakes.  The front high pinion XJ Dana 30 I swapped in has 4.56 gears and a Truetrac.

It's a 4.0 auto with the 242 transfer case.  With the limited slip and full time high range it makes a nearly unstoppable winter beater.

The tires rub off road though so I started installing some bushwhacker flat cutout flares to make room.  They cover the tires well and transition nicely into the JCR bumper and rock sliders.

IMG_20200726_084602.jpg.965210efe0f11f7e6d2201d394aeb594.jpg

IMG_20200726_084254.jpg

IMG_20200726_084438.jpg

IMG_20200726_084551.jpg

I'm also working on replacing the o-rings on the oil filter adapter as well as a couple of other leaks.  I also have to get the shift linkage sorted out.  It doesn't have enough range to fully engage 4lo.  So I'm going to look at linkage bushings and maybe tweaking the shifter to allow some more throw.

me too!  double thick cardboard is just the perfect blend of padding and disposable.  :D   

plus provides short term protection against those little biting ants that are all over the driveway  :fistshake2:

I wanted a fresh surface to tell me what all was leaking.  I figured the cardboard would make that easier.  And it helps when you pull the oil filter adapter and oil drips everywhere.

It'll go away when I'm done with current repairs.

• 4 months later...
Just now, derf said:

Yeah, I like the look over the other flares they offer.  I wonder if they will ever make the rear flares to match for the 2DR XJ/MJ.

I think they make some for the 2 door XJ, but I read (on CC I think) that they did not fit the MJ quite right.

59 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I think they make some for the 2 door XJ, but I read (on CC I think) that they did not fit the MJ quite right.

stock 2dr flares will not match up on an MJ.  :L:   but aftermarket flares seem to be more universal so there's a chance. :D  

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

stock 2dr flares will not match up on an MJ.  :L:   but aftermarket flares seem to be more universal so there's a chance. :D  

You know, sometimes I think that it was a dumb idea to not have either the XJs share flares or the 2 door XJ and the MJ to share rear flares. Then I remember, these were designed by AMC, expect stupid. Cool, but still kinda dumb.

• 1 month later...

The 4.0 in this rig has a rod knocking.  So I'm starting the rebuild of a donor engine.  Both my XJ and the donor engine have the 0331 head that tends to crack.

I found an 0331 TUPY head and it showed up today.

Time to start the teardown and evaluation of the donor.

I haven't decided if I'm going to stroke it while it's apart but I will soon.

PXL_20210121_190843770.MP.jpg

PXL_20210121_192358030.jpg