rare old Jeep CD player for sale :) nos too!

The serial number is very close to ones I've worked on in the past.

Just as an FYI for anyone who is curious - these things are very cranky and unreliable. The CD mechanism is an early Sony designed unit that has problems at pretty much every step of the way, the faceplates are cheap and break frequently (especially the pushrods for the buttons), the FM tuners have a number of problems, and I have very few parts. Quality of build is a step or two below other factory Jeep radios. A NOS one right out of the box is probably good to go, but don't expect top notch reliability. Chances are it won't be working 10 years from now. Power and sound quality are not significantly different from other Jeep offerings. The ones I've worked on would play CD-Rs just fine though.

Cool novelty, but my honest opinion as someone who's gotten elbow deep in several of these things: they're a bucket of trouble. I was thinking of restoring one for my '91, but I had so much trouble sourcing parts that I pretty much gave up on the idea.

While doing other things in the bunker, I went and looked at my records:

I currently have 3060034 and 3070914. Both are in poor condition with dead CD mechanisms.

I have repaired 3070374 and 3070927, and as far as I know both are still in service. 3070120 and 3070914 donated parts in repairing those two. I had plans to work on another, but that was put on hold a few months ago.

• 3 weeks later...