PILOT BEARING!!!!!

:mad: ok i have an 87 comanche i have posted pics of it and i am almost finished with the project but the D@$% piloot bearing for the clutch is holding me up the one for a 92 is too big for the output shaft on my tranny but the 87 pilot bearing won't fit in the engine so WTF should i do??? is there a place i can give dimensions and get a specialized bearing made does anyone know???? :headpop:

What motor/transmission do you have?

If you've got the 4cyl, then I would think that the pilot bearing for the 87 and 92 would be the same, since both years used the same transmission.

However, if it's the 4.0, I believe the Peugot and Ax-15 use different bearings. I know the HO and non-HO motors used different flywheels, but I'm not sure about different cranks. If you put the 92 Ax-15 behind a non-HO motor, you probably won't be able to use either bearing.

I am doing an entire clutch kit replacement as soon as I can. What do I need to watch out for? I have a 88 4.0L so I am guessing its the BA-10. I am really tempted to get a HO and AX-15 but don't have the time or money :cry:

If you're keeping the same engine and trans, you'll just need to pick up your truck's year pilot bearing. Since you're dropping the tranny anyway, it's a good idea to replace the pilot bearing. You may need a pilot bearing removal tool (the auto parts stores around me loan them out).

:mad: ok i have an 87 comanche i have posted pics of it and i am almost finished with the project but the D@$% piloot bearing for the clutch is holding me up the one for a 92 is too big for the output shaft on my tranny but the 87 pilot bearing won't fit in the engine so WTF should i do??? is there a place i can give dimensions and get a specialized bearing made does anyone know???? :headpop:

My mj has a pilot bushing from advance adapters to mate the transplanted ’97 TJ 4.0 motor to the ’89 AX15. So there must be a difference in cranks between the 4.0 renix and ho motors I guess. I don’t have specifics but the po said it took a couple days to get it from aa and they knew what was needed.

the HO's use a spacer and a pilot bearing. the renix don't have the spacer the area where the spacer would be if it was a HO is just part of the crank.

pilot_bushing.jpg

the ID where the bearing fits in should be the same size spacer or not. i think i remember hearing a guy found the correct one useing a CJ5 part number but i don't remember what transmission it was for

I am doing an entire clutch kit replacement as soon as I can. What do I need to watch out for? I have a 88 4.0L so I am guessing its the BA-10. I am really tempted to get a HO and AX-15 but don't have the time or money :cry:

If you're keeping the same engine and trans, you'll just need to pick up your truck's year pilot bearing. Since you're dropping the tranny anyway, it's a good idea to replace the pilot bearing. You may need a pilot bearing removal tool (the auto parts stores around me loan them out).

I have ran into this problem before on a mazda. The pilot bearing just wouldn't break free for crap. What I did was found a bolt that fit inside the bearing ID and filled the back side full of grease. Stuck the bolt in the hole and smacked it with a hammer. The grease forced the bearing out with one pop. the great thing about it was the bearing stayed on the bolt and gave a lil leverage pull it on out. Just a quick tip when you can run to the parts store.

I tracked down the pilot for my '87 MJ and about a year ago the old one seized up (while sitting at a light) and it took a while for it to disintegrate, but I've been driving it like that ever since. I have an auto trans and tcase to put in one of these days.