Help Identifying front/ rear diff

They are decent if you have the 1 piece axles. Most AMC 20’s have a splined taper axle. That’s the weak point. They do have a bigger ring gear than a Dana 35 and I think a 44.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bought the comanche a few weeks ago and it came with 31s front and back. 405c68788b405fc2fc622fb1c4e37532.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Both are decent axles. Biggest downside on the D30 up front is the CAD. It's a two piece shaft that is vacuum actuated.  You can eliminate it and get a 1 piece shaft or at least get a posi to ditch the vacuum line, or swap in a 98-99 HP30, bigger u joints and non CAD. AMC20 is pretty solid. My dad has one on his CJ with 35's chromo shafts and ARBs. Held up fine until he did new axle seals and didn't reinstall it right. Ended up losing a wheel while driving and bending the axle housing. 

1 hour ago, Smokeyyank said:

Biggest downside on the D30 up front is the CAD.

I disagree with this statement. I think the CAD is great, as long as you ditch the vacuum actuated system. Install a posi-lock, like THIS item. Doing so guarantees 4x4 engagement when you want it, and it allows you to use 2WD low. To be honest I use 2 low WAY more often than 4x4. Maneuvering in tight spaces, backing up in blind corners, taking off on steep slopes, backing trailers, driving out in my fields and pastures, etc: all of it 2WD Low is AWESOME. Highly recommend that over other options like locking the CAD or one piece axles. But I feel like this is the minority opinion. :dunno: do whatever you like.

I disagree with this statement. I think the CAD is great, as long as you ditch the vacuum actuated system. Install a posi-lock, like THIS item. Doing so guarantees 4x4 engagement when you want it, and it allows you to use 2WD low. To be honest I use 2 low WAY more often than 4x4. Maneuvering in tight spaces, backing up in blind corners, taking off on steep slopes, backing trailers, driving out in my fields and pastures, etc: all of it 2WD Low is AWESOME. Highly recommend that over other options like locking the CAD or one piece axles. But I feel like this is the minority opinion. :dunno: do whatever you like.
I'm looking into it right now and I'm starting to like it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Never said it was junk just the biggest downside because of reasons mentioned, 2 piece shafts and it's vacuum actuated.