What Transmission do I want?

I am new to the Jeep Comanche's and I know that AMC never built a transmission.

I have located a couple of 1988-1989 Comanche's that I am interested in. 

What are the better transmissions?

Automatic's (who built them?, do AMC 904/727's bolt up? to the 4.0))

Manual 5 speeds (who built them?  Was there a heavy duty?  If so, can I figure it by vin#?)

Which would you prefer?

Ollie

The autos are nice, aisin Warner aw4 they don't seem to have very many issues unless you really beat on them. You can bolt the amc904/727 if you want to, but you'd be loosing overdrive. There was a race truck posted with that install, but that was a race truck.
As far as manuals goes, half way thru 1989 they switched from the weak Peugeot trans to the ax15. Both trans will work but the ax is the better option. Most people will swap in a ax when the Peugeot goes out so don't always assume what the truck has under it.

The AX-15 is the better manual. In my build thread that I emailed you, it will include that mine has the worse manual, but I have a rebuilt AX-15 to go in it. 

As as far as autos go, the AW-4 is a pretty stout trans from my understanding. 

It really depends on what you want and your plans. I wouldn't let the transmission be the deciding factor, I would buy the best truck you can afford. If I bought an auto, I would stay with the AW-4. I would live with the BA-10 in a 2wd truck, but would swap to an AX-15 in a 4wd. The additional ability to handle torque will allow it survive longer. The AX-15 can handle V-8 torque, it's as strong as any medium duty transmission.

Both the AW-4 auto and the AX-15 were/are manufactured by Aisin /Warner. They are still selling transmissions, I believe the AX-15 is still available new, and they provide Ram with truck automatic transmissions. The BA-10 was built by Peugeot. AMC was struggling to survive, so they used the cheapest transmission available. And we got what we paid for.

Of course, all of this is opinion found on the Intardwebs, and only worth what you paid for it. Go ahead and flame me, I'm wearing my asbestos underwear...

:peep:

Got Ya  BeatCJ.........:beerchug:  when asking a question like this......be prepared.

I am learning. I got a AMC 727 sitting in my shop. Good to know it will work. They are bullet proof.

AMC used the Borg Warner in cars many a year and they were a reasonable trans.

Keep the comments coming.....you won't be quoted in a court of law.......:laugh:

Thanks for moving the thread to the proper place

Ollie

Completely agree width all the comments above. Just also steer clear of the ax5 tranny that was used on 4cyls for a while. Made by Aisin also but not nearly as stout as the ax15. The aw4 in mine has been a great tranny with pretty much zero issues when properly maintained and cooled. I will say though, it is a power hungry trans as many auto’s are. I’d love to swap to an ax15 at some point in time

The 727, like you say, is bulletproof. It was used in motorhomes, musclecars, even to pull aircraft around the flight line in a CJ-10 tug. But no overdrive could be an issue if you want to run down an Interstate.

back in the day Jeeps came with good transmissions.  you know, before Chrysler started putting their own in.  :laugh:

The AW4 and AX-15 are fantastic transmissions.  you'll be happy with either. :L: 

The Peugeot is... a transmission.  Made of metal.  Has some gears inside.  Shifter knob sticking out the top.  In its defense, mine lasted over 150k miles.  buuuuut, then it blew up one day while just cruising along in rush hour traffic.  like literally blew a hole out the side of the trans near 5th gear.  :dunno:  wasn't even shifting at the time.  I would never turn down an otherwise nice truck that had one, but I would be planning for that AX-15 swap in the near future.