20 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Simplest answer is from the cab forward most everything is interchangeable.

Within similar year spans. Both were Renix-based systems from 1987 through [1880] 1990, and both went over to the Chrysler injection & ignition system in 1991. So it's not an easy swap to try to use parts off a Chrysler-era XJ on a Renix MJ, or vice versa.

There are also differences in the front brakes, calipers, rotors, and steering knuckles so, again, it's safest to try to stay with the same year.

Edited by Eagle
Typo --> 1990, not 1880

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Within similar year spans. Both were Renix-based systems from 1987 through 1880, and both went over to the Chrysler injection & ignition system in 1991. So it's not an easy swap to try to use parts off a Chrysler-era XJ on a Renix MJ, or vice versa.

There are also differences in the front brakes, calipers, rotors, and steering knuckles so, again, it's safest to try to stay with the same year.

:yeahthat:

To simplify what everyone is saying, these trucks share 99% of the parts of an XJ from the A-Pillar/dashboard forward assuming the same year XJ and MJ.  There are some changes year to year but they are small so most everything will still work in different years but it's good to ask about some specific parts like electronics or brake parts. 

The big year shifts to pay attention to are the Renix era (87-90), the HO era (91-96), and the OBDII era (97+).  The MJ ended production in 92 so the later part of HO and OBDII usually doesn't apply unless you swap parts from them. 

If there are specific parts you want to know about, we can give some more details on if they will work or not.

6 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

The big year shifts to pay attention to are the before-times carb era (84-85), the Renix transition era (86), Renix era (87-90), the HO era (91-95), the crazy mashup era (96), and the OBDII era (97+). 

It's in no way important to the topic at hand, but yet I felt I just had to add a caveat or 2.  :laugh: 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

It's in no way important to the topic at hand, but yet I felt I just had to add a caveat or 2.  :laugh: 

:roflmao:Haha yes!  Aka the avoid these years unless you like chasing you tail eras.