Courtesy light questions

I have an 87 Comanche that I have a particular problem with the driver side courtesy Lights under the dash. I have two plugs, one is plugged into the pin switch in the driver's door, and the other one going to the underside light. Both have a tag that's a courtesy light.

So with both plugs plugged in correctly and the key in all the lights in the interior turn on and off like they should with both pin switches.

What it funny is if the key is removed the driver's side light turns off. If you short the light circuit the buzzer turns on for the key in. The key in buzzer never worked when I put this truck together, I figured it was just and ignition switch problem.

If I switch the wiring harnesses the interior lights do not turn on at all.

Ideas?

49a02592bb0b5d073ffd20df89a08b4d.jpg6c86b127b168549822cd20dc8b020a67.jpg46e6a073450780f220cb90cb9ad73e40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have switched the two plugs, if you switch them interior lights do not come on at all. I have tested and one is positive 12 volts like it should and the other one is ground when the door is open.

I am thinking it could be in the steering column for whatever reason. I switched the steering column when I went from manual to an automatic because I thought the columns were different. I wish I would have kept my other column. It only had 40,000 miles on it. Everything worked perfectly, turn signals bright lights ignition switch all worked perfectly with such low mileage. This one has 200 plus thousand miles on it. Don't get me wrong, it all works but not nearly with the Precision and tight feeling as the original column did.

If you turn your headlight switch, do the interior lights come on? Your steering column should have nothing to do with the lights, unless some how it is back feeding through your buzzer, but the buzzer uses it own side of the dual pin door switch. Is the wiring factory or has it been modified somewhere?

Yes if you rotate the knob it does. Also when the headlights are on and the door is open the buzzer does not work as well. As a result I've killed my battery once or twice forgetting my headlights were on.

The buzzer box is black. The truck is an 87, but I installed a 1990 Cherokee fuse box and the associated wiring which is all apparently stock. The top right pin on the fuse box test 12 volts when lights on and ground when lights are off. The second pin down on the right test 12 volts when key in ignition and open one key out of ignition.

If the key is in and I unplug the buzzer the driver's side footwell courtesy light turns off. So it's definitely backfeeding through the buzzer. I am thinking those two identical courtesy light harnesses are switched, but the courtesy lights will not work at all when I switch them.

The buzzer works intermittently as it is and does not sound every time I turn on the ignition to warn me of putting my seat belt on, so the buzzer might be bad as it is.

a770091de7cf75a43da87979bfb50a3d.jpg136e093c51661c30fb1303ce677363d1.jpg

The door pin switch has two wires black and black/white and it looks like from the electrical manual that only uses the black/ white as an input.

The connector with the black / white wires on both sides I am getting odd readings. With the key in 12 volts which turns on the courtesy light plugged in. With key out 0 volts on that side.7f43b9760cf5ce679a7e2ce93b057bbd.jpg027b87a39a8524c7423aee58d2b8adf3.jpgf14e610596cd2582fbcf3707aa05760f.jpg

I have been reading up on the subject, and correct me if I'm wrong the blue buzzer box allows for when your headlights are on the buzzer sounds. The Black Box does not have the headlight pin?86c133ebe9b57476435c72e12465de44.jpg