1975 Ford E-150 mini-camper

1975 Ford Econoline 150 Chateau mini-camper. 351 Windsor, 2bbl carb, auto trans. 1st year for this body style.

Picked this monstrosity up a few days before Christmas 2019; had been sitting in tall grass at a relative by marriage''s property since 2008 with a bad transmission. Mice had made a mess of the camper portion, and a broken window allowed wasps to build homes and let a decade of Oregon weather inside. Purchase cost was the cost of a tow across town. Purchased new by my wife's grandparents and subsequently owned by my wife's uncle from whom we picked it up.

Since the first of the year, I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, put new wheels/tires on it, had the trans rebuilt, and stripped the bio-hazard bed/cabinets/stove/fridge/water closet/carpet/veneer. Propane tank and lines also came out. Re-registered it as a passenger vehicle instead of a motor home, and now is reasonably road-worthy.

Still have to refresh the suspension/steering and do some brake work, as well as re-upholster the front swivel seats and fix the broken driver seat base. Then to figure out what to do with the rear of the van. It needs sidepipes. Definitely sidepipes.

Current exterior, interior before, and interior current pics attached.

Van1.png

Van2.png

van3.png

She does have minor rust on her from where the water tank and sink leaked and sliding door weatherstripping failed, below where the cabinetry was located. Coroseal has done a fine job of neutralizing the rust, but I still need to get underneath with a mini roller. 

Two small holes from rust exist in the rear floor; these will have to be addressed as well as the circular hole cut from where the commode previously was mounted.

Van_rust.png

Van rust 2.png

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

neat!  is it now a cargo van or do you plan on making it a camper again?  are the rear doors regular height or do that go up in to the cap?

Man, I wish it had the tall doors as they would be AWESOME; they are the regular height regretfully.

As it is, she can be used as a cargo van; the wife wants a 2x4 bed build in the back so that means putting in carpet/padding, and re-paneling the walls. We already have new curtains made for it as the previous were sun faded and wouldn't re-dye.

The house electrics, fuse panel, transformer, and wiring were pulled as I don't trust the 45 year old electrics in it... don't want to burn the thing down by plugging it in with an extension cord. I have schematics for a deep cell battery powered system with solar charger saved for later implementation.  

Starting and idling issues have been narrowed down to the carb; have my eye on a Holley 500 cfm electric choke 2bbl model to replace the ancient Autolite/Motorcraft that is on it now. Not cheap at 400+, but cheap as far as performance go.

• 2 weeks later...

Threw some E3 plugs in and installed the 500 cfm Holley 2bbl carb. Still need to adjust the kickdown linkage but she starts right up and idles like a champ. The Motorcraft carb had a vacuum actuated choke; the Holley is electric.

This is my first attempt at an aftermarket carb switcharoo; looks like I didn't booger it up too much.

van 2 carbs.png

van_holley_1.png

van holley 2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Final update: Had a mobile dog groomer randomly knock on the door on Monday asking if the van was for sale... two days and 3800.00 later and she was gone. 

Sidepipes had just arrived too, never got a chance to install them. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, AMCJeepMJ said:

Final update: Had a mobile dog groomer randomly knock on the door on Monday asking if the van was for sale... two days and 3800.00 later and she was gone. 

Sidepipes had just arrived too, never got a chance to install them. 

side pipes? :brows:

2 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

so what you going to do with them now? :thinking:

They went with the van sale; new owner's husband is a Ford guy and allegedly was to put them on... I haven't seen the van around town... not that I actually get out any more these days, so who know if he put them on.