CRF136N's 89 Eliminator (used to be Torq's)

Goal is to get it on the road ASAP and use it for the summer while I gut my converted garage and prepare it to house another roommate. 

Started on fluid immediately but I have a small list of must do's before it gets on the road. This is the short list to only get it driving and nothing else. 

-Tires

-Battery

-Harmonic balancer

-Reinstall fuel tank

-Fuel pump

-A taillight

-A mirror 

-Rear u-joint

Got a mirror from @eaglescout526 and installed it today. Unfortunately the bolts are missing from the non-existent mirrors on this truck. Found some of the right size in my parts bin but they are 10mm instead of Torx. Oh well.

Also splurged on a black vinyl steering wheel as the leather one had disintegrated. 

Bought U-joints and fuel hose today and the rest of the major parts come in tomorrow. Does anyone know what the plugs in the gas tank go to? Charcoal canister? One of mine is busted, thinking of just plugging it...

20200416_182142.jpg

20200416_182147.jpg

20200416_182149.jpg

20200416_182159.jpg

20200416_182249.jpg

Sorry bout that, didn't think about sending any bolts with it. Glad you found some. I may or may not have the plastic wing piece for the remote control to sit in(didn't think about that either). 

I would hang onto the steering wheel. Someone somewhere could get that reupholstered and look new again. 

6 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sorry bout that, didn't think about sending any bolts with it. Glad you found some. I may or may not have the plastic wing piece for the remote control to sit in(didn't think about that either). 

I would hang onto the steering wheel. Someone somewhere could get that reupholstered and look new again. 

I have the wing pieces just not the bolts. The mirror is excellent! Works perfect and is in really good shape for a used mirror. 

1 minute ago, Torq_Shep said:

I have the wing pieces just not the bolts. The mirror is excellent! Works perfect and is in really good shape for a used mirror. 

Yeah I snagged it off ebay one day without realizing that it wasn't an OEM break away mirror I was after. So I never installed it but it worked great when I had it so I'm glad it still works great in your possession!

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yeah I snagged it off ebay one day without realizing that it wasn't an OEM break away mirror I was after. So I never installed it but it worked great when I had it so I'm glad it still works great in your possession!

Ironically I was looking for non-breakaways =P never had good luck with the break away ones on the 6 cherokee/comanches I have had. 

Well I got the new radiator installed. Went to fire it up and no fuel pump... 

Turns out ai probably blew a fusible link and I can power the fuel pump by jumping either pin 30 or pin 87 to 12v so I have a short. Damn mice probably did a lot more damage than I thought. 

Good news is that on a short drive (bypassed relay) it didnt overheat or stall this time. So making progress!

20200424_201713.jpg

20200424_201704.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Fixed the engine electricals and changed the front brake hoses (rear one is seized but it will be replaced)

Drove it around a bit, put gas in it, going to maybe take it to work tomorrow and see if I can get the inspection done. Or Maybe Wednesday but I am close to having a driver at the very least. 

Drove it to work today so I could dump drywall at the dump station on my way home. Well... Alternator locked up leaving work so I turned it around and limped it back to its parking spot. Probably wasn't the best idea as it took out the new harmonic balancer at the same time. 

Guess I am working on it after I get off so I can go home =P

• 9 months later...

Recovered my account after years of inactivity heh. Anyway, guess I should drop in and say hi. I bought this truck off Torq, this will be the 5th mj I've owned. It's been at the mechanic for a couple weeks now getting a complete refresh. The list is...long. Anyway, I expect to get it back next week (in 100% mechanically sound condition!), hopefully start digging into the interior, and come April its going to the bodyshop to get the cosmetics sorted out. It's going to be my daily driver here in Texas, not lifting it or 4x4 swapping, just making it a nice clean daily driver. That said, not sure its worth starting a new thread on, but I'll post some updated pics when it's all done 😁

• Pete M changed the title to CRF136N's 89 Eliminator (used to be Torq's)

Haha, well I guess that works Pete, changing the name of the thread 😝

Anyway I will! I'm no longer physically able to do my own work so there really isn't much to show for progress since I'm dropping it off, having someone else do the work and picking it up when its done so not much to talk about...but I'm really excited to get this one finished & start enjoying it. I was looking at new vehicles when torq and I were chatting one day and he said he was going to sell it. Wasn't much to consider, I knew I wanted it despite the extensive work it needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 9:40 PM, CRF136N said:

Haha, well I guess that works Pete, changing the name of the thread 😝

Anyway I will! I'm no longer physically able to do my own work so there really isn't much to show for progress since I'm dropping it off, having someone else do the work and picking it up when its done so not much to talk about...but I'm really excited to get this one finished & start enjoying it. I was looking at new vehicles when torq and I were chatting one day and he said he was going to sell it. Wasn't much to consider, I knew I wanted it despite the extensive work it needed.

You have already had more done to it than I had finished =P 

• 1 year later...

Suppose I should post an update since it's been over a year. So after buying it off Torq the jeep went to a mechanic who did almost everything to it, both drive train and power train. Fixed all the leaks. The thing runs and drives incredible now, aside from a couple small quirks I'm sorting out.

Unfortunately the body shop I was going to drop it off with fell through and life got busy so the jeep lived in a storage unit for the past 10 months or so on back burner. I decided to take advantage of these high car values to sell my little car and brought the jeep out of hibernation a couple months ago and started daily driving it, did a little body work to it and just sprayed the whole thing primer flat black so it's at least all 1 color & I'll keep addressing the body little bits at a time until I'm ready for paint. Scored an mj specific shell, which needs a little love too so this will keep me busy for awhile, which is ok because when key parts releases the bed corners I'd rather just replace the crunched up one anyway. Floor needs a little patch. Lot of little things while I drive it.

Put in a column shift column, '97+ dash, cause it's in better shape than the other I have, swapped the power door guts from the '97+ doors, still need to sort out gauges and some electrical, but again, it functions as is.

Nothing too exciting, but progress is happening. All I need is 3 of those stupid clip nuts and I can put the front bumper on, just haven't gotten around to sourcing them yet. Got a lot of neat plans for the interior, double din android auto unit and a lot of little features and creature comforts often found on todays vehicles because I'm a sort of 3d modeling and printing nerd, dabbling with carbon fiber molding and resin stuff, love tinkering with modern technology and I'm all about anything that makes my life easier as I'm a double amputee, lost both arms mid forearm. I work slow...but I get it done, somehow!

Hopefully I'll have more updates in the near future 

20220419_162954.jpg

20220418_105846.jpg

20220418_105825.jpg

20220401_183054.jpg