Truck hits 2-3000 rpm on start up. Is this normal?

On startup, my truck will hit 1500 and come down quickly or will reach higher numbers and stay up in the 2000-3000 rpm range for 30 seconds. Is there a way to fix this? I don’t want to be any harder on my engine then I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common problem. Your truck is a Renix, correct?

Idle Air Controller (IAC) needs cleasning, and/or the throttle bellcrank on the left side frame ear (below the master cylinder) needs a shot of PB Blaster.

Idle Air Controller (IAC) needs cleasning, and/or the throttle bellcrank on the left side frame ear (below the master cylinder) needs a shot of PB Blaster.

Thank you!

My idle also bounces between 1000 and 650. Is this normal? Or can it be explained by the idle air controller?

54 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

My idle also bounces between 1000 and 650. Is this normal?

No

54 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

Or can it be explained by the idle air controller?

Good chance its IAC.

On 3/15/2020 at 6:56 PM, Eagle said:

......and/or the throttle bellcrank on the left side frame ear (below the master cylinder) needs a shot of PB Blaster.

Eagle, can you explain further on this? First time I've ever come across this suggestion and what the part is. 

I don't have a photo and it's in a location that's not easy to take one, so I'll have to try a verbal description:

Stand on the left side of the engine compartment. Manually manipulate the throttle. The "thingie" that snaps onto the throttle body arm is a steel rod, not the cable from the gas peddle. That rod points toward you, but it has a bend and it drops down (more or less out of sight) below the brake master cylinder and brake distribution block. Lean forward so you can follow it down. At the bottom end, it snaps onto a bellcrank (lever) that is attached to a pivot on the left side frame rail. The throttle cable from the gas peddle is attached to the other arm of this bellcrank. What I have experienced with mine is that years of exposure to salt and glop from winter driving caused the bellcrank pivot to partially seize up. Periodic shots of PB Blaster free it up and alleviate the fast idle problem. I have had to do this multiple times and it has always solved it for me. I've never had to deal with the IAC.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, Eagle said:

I don't have a photo and it's in a location that's not easy to take one, so I'll have to try a verbal description:

Stand on the left side of the engine compartment.

For image reference if it helps anyone since a good portion  of mine is apart atm.

This guy?

20200323_144523.jpg.663ddaf4f56bc9998a4602cc4f1f77e9.jpg