3D Printing: Switch Board

Is anyone else out there 3D printing parts for their truck?

I just finished up a print to swap out the clock for a switch panel that accept some $7 switches from amazon. I posed the files to Thingiverse if you're interested. I included the Autodesk Fusion 360 Files in case you want to modify it to a different size switch. This is out of a 89. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4189318 

Link to the Switches https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011U1NU90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snapchat-895047886.jpg

Snapchat-1460129375.jpg

Snapchat-229301260.jpg

On February 27, 2020 at 9:42 PM, Foffett said:

Is anyone else out there 3D printing parts for their truck?

I know zilch about 3D printing.  Would relay cover clips be a good candidate to reproduce?  They seem to be in short supply.

5 hours ago, amsuco said:

I know zilch about 3D printing.  Would relay cover clips be a good candidate to reproduce?  They seem to be in short supply.

Is is the small clip in this post?

It looks like a good candidate to print; it would just require some sanding and removal of support material.

I'd print it in ABS or Nylon because it has some force on the head to keep it in place. The material is roughly the same price, but it's a little harder to print

I don't have any on my truck. The guy I bought it from had it held on by a twist tie. I could model it if I had an original, or I just make a different design. 

6 minutes ago, Foffett said:

It looks like a good candidate to print; it would just require some sanding and removal of support material.

I'd print it in ABS or Nylon because it has some force on the head to keep it in place. The material is roughly the same price, but it's a little harder to print

I don't have any on my truck. The guy I bought it from had it held on by a twist tie. I could model it if I had an original, or I just make a different design. 

That's the one!  I'm in the same boat as you.  My truck came with the cover, and no clips.  Let's see who else chimes in here.  Maybe somebody has one they could loan you to work up a copy from.

11 minutes ago, Foffett said:

message me an address and I'll send ya one :L: 

• 11 months later...
43 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

@Dzimm, this is right up your alley

Definitely could model these up pretty quick.  Don't want to step on any toes if @Foffett was actually working on these though.

I would agree with him that ABS would be the best material strictly for temperature resistance, Nylon would be overkill.  I'm not concerned with the force on the clip as it would be negligible.  If someone happened to have a temperature probe they could place in this location and run the truck up nice and hot to get some actual temperature measurements that would be helpful.  

@Dzimm I created a few models of these in ABS, PLA, and Nylon. Id be more than happy to forward my models. I recommend Nylon or figuring out a better material for the reasons below. (New thought: You might be able to combine a pla/abs print with a rubber washer??)

The clip really relies on the flexing of the thin head to lock the clip in place and to not rattle loose while running. The PLA and ABS prints I made tended to crack before flexing properly. I also played around with annealing the prints after, but that creates other chalanges (I highly recommend looking into annealed PLA for rigidity). The closest I got to a useable and repeatable model was using nylon filament (Dremel brand, stored in an airtight container and dried before use). Because the head needs to flex, it is important to print with the head parallel to the bed, otherwise the head tends to split apart. That print orientation does require support material, which can be hard to remove without damaging the print. Nylon did give me problems with adhesion as well. 

I was using a ender 3 with an all metal extruder and a insulated bed. I made an enclosure using a plastic storage container and a LOT of blankets. That gave me decent adhesion on hot summer days. I'm currently extending the wiring of my printer so it can safely fit in my new enclosure (an old tool chest with fire-resistant spray foam) I'm also adding new thermosters and a BL autoleveling device. I got to the disassembly part, but I've been dragging my heels on the reassembly side. I will climb into my computer, look for the files and post them on Thingiverse, with the info I can find about my print settings

would this be a good time or a bad time to mention that a member very recently discovered that the relay cover clips might be a Ford part found on late 80s trucks? :peep:  the picture on ebay looks remarkably similar but no way of knowing until I can get to a junkyard to confirm (I'm not paying 35 bucks to find out).  fingers crossed for friday. 

Would be nice if Ford made them. 

If you have done the research and found Nylon to be the only feasible solution, it's not going to be condusive to making a cheap replacement via 3D printing.  Definitely could work but man that's a PIA to get good prints.  I'm still struggling to get good repeatable results with ABS.  

For an enclosure I just broke down and bought the Creality one.  It gets pretty dang hot in their during long PETG prints.

33 minutes ago, Pete M said:

would this be a good time or a bad time to mention that a member very recently discovered that the relay cover clips might be a Ford part found on late 80s trucks? :peep:  the picture on ebay looks remarkably similar but no way of knowing until I can get to a junkyard to confirm (I'm not paying 35 bucks to find out).  fingers crossed for friday. 

I hope it is the same part: There are way too many variables in the production process for 3d printing, and oem will always be more reliable. At the very least, it was a really good exercise for me, and I learned things that I can apply to my work.