2.5 renix no electric

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Disconnect C103. On the IGN SW side of the harness measure for voltage at C103_E, KEY ON (IGN SW connectors connected). Problem with C103 is C105 looks the same (6_pin). C103 will have YELLOW wire in cavity E.

1746877556_C103EnginetoEEC.jpg.f42568cddd4d10a93b444e1977f9038f.jpg

1468914405_C103locationview.jpg.a642ebe362805d9e4b9cba7106e3f6ab.jpg

Yes, C267 and c268 were connected. 

C103_E (yellow wire) has 0v with key on. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mechanical question (Key Cylinder to IGN SW). With everything connected back up, back to normal, does engine CRANK over when key is in the START position? If yes, then OPEN circuit between C103_E and C267_I1 (YELLOW wire).

2 minutes ago, BoneheadJeeper said:

The key literally does nothing at all. No fuel pump, no radio power, not a single thing works, no cranking of any kind, like its supposed to when you turn the key. It was driving, then everything just shut down. Its as if you went to start a car without a battery.

That's interesting. Maybe linkage between Key Cylinder and IGN SW or IGN SW adjustment. Anyone know DIY for IGN SW adjustment is, I can't seem to find it?

Probably not the correct way but I have the key out, make sure the switch is in the off position. Install switch then run thru the function, start, run and acc, adjusting if needed.

Stock 1988 swb 4.0 ax15 np 231.

10 hours ago, jdog said:

Just for grins, do either the interior lights or the headlights work, long shot but I'm wondering if the bulkhead is loose.

My jeep doesn't have the interior lights in it. That way when i bought it. But I do have head and tail lights, I can check dome lights for voltage when I get off work. 

Update: Dome lights have power inside the cab. 

Update: still no progress. 

I went back to the start of the post and triple checked everything suggested, still not getting any power to the ignition. I was online watching a few videos of a guy who went through and ohm'd his starter relay and checked for voltage, I wasn't getting the same reading he was. The 2 green wires going to it that have the plastic clips, have zero voltage. I'm also having a hard time finding info about this renix system for these 2.5 4cyls automatics. Everything I'm finding is for the 4.0. 

Another thing I rechecked was the fuse panel inside the cab, everything my key should be turning on, radio, etc has no power. 

Anymore ideas on what to check? Ive seen some people say its the nss and a few others say its not. Does anybody know a way to jump it over so i can atleast check to see if it's an issue? 

Pictures of said green wires, forgive me as I should have asked for this earlier but what year. Once I get back to the wiring diagrams I'll tell you which wire to disconnect and how to bypass the nss. Until then can I have you do one other thing and back probe the wires at the ignition switch with it on I'm looking for voltage. Can you give me all the wires readings.

47 minutes ago, jdog said:

Pictures of said green wires, forgive me as I should have asked for this earlier but what year. Once I get back to the wiring diagrams I'll tell you which wire to disconnect and how to bypass the nss. Until then can I have you do one other thing and back probe the wires at the ignition switch with it on I'm looking for voltage. Can you give me all the wires readings.

I don't have a picture, but on the starter relay its the middle and bottom left. I can go to the video and find them but I'm at work rn so can't get a pic. 

But its an 87 sport truck base model. Swb. 4x4. 

Honestly I'm not sure what you mean when you say back probe. And what wires should i do that with. 

Middle wire goes to the starter, other one I believe is the signal wire from the column that tells it to start, neither should have voltage until the key is in the start position

3 hours ago, jdog said:

Middle wire goes to the starter, other one I believe is the signal wire from the column that tells it to start, neither should have voltage until the key is in the start position

Yes, I sat my volt meter up on hood and turned key to see if there was a change in the voltage. The guy i watched online, his meter would hold the max voltage shown until cleared so i had to watch mine. 

0226201345a.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 8:44 AM, BoneheadJeeper said:

Ive seen some people say its the nss and a few others say its not. Does anybody know a way to jump it over so i can atleast check to see if it's an issue?

Using a testlight, connect the clip end to Battery Positive (B+). Probe D2_3 with other end.
LAMP ON: P or N
LAMP OFF: all other positions.

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg

On 2/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, Ωhm said:

KEY OFF. Using a testlight, connect the clip end to Battery Positive (B+). Probe D2_3 with other end.
LAMP ON: P or N
LAMP OFF: all other positions.

D1_D2.jpg.6a80c3f7836373dcaeefc968569a8d65.jpg

No change in whats been happening. What wire can i make hot in the ignition switch to get it going?

26 minutes ago, BoneheadJeeper said:

What wire can i make hot in the ignition switch to get it going?

Do you have 12v at the red wire at the ign switch? 

If not, you need to trace that wire back to the fused link, find the break, fix it. 

And I'm not convinced your fused links are good. 

This will require you to literally, physically, trace that wire. Not picking and probing and testing here and there. 

14 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Do you have 12v at the red wire at the ign switch? 

If not, you need to trace that wire back to the fused link, find the break, fix it. 

And I'm not convinced your fused links are good. 

This will require you to literally, physically, trace that wire. Not picking and probing and testing here and there. 

Yes i have 12v at the Red wire going into ignition switch. 

1 hour ago, jdog said:

Into the switch, switch on and all of em.

I removed the switch and done this without it mounted, not sure if it effects anything or not. But with key off, I'm getting 12v at red nothing else...with key on I'm not getting anything at red or any other wires. 

*When i say with key on/off, I'm moving the piece in the switch myself*