Rodeo Dana 44 Rear Disc Brakes

Flange: It comes stock with a rather strange pinion flange. It is only common to isuzu as far as I know. A pinion yoke from any other D44 or like design can be swapped on it. Or you can run the isuzu flange with the rodeo companion flange that has a spicer 1310 joint. That's the better route as the dana yokes typically suck.

Disks shouldn't cause issues. You'll need to make new brake lines on the axle.

The bolt pattern is 6x5.5. IT won't match the front. If you're 2wd you can run different rims and it's no big deal... Otherwise you can't do much.

Oh, the driveshaft will be off... The D44 pinion is a bit longer. IF you use the dana yoke instead of the isuzu flange, it'd probably be close enough to work.

And it'll be .5" wider than the front axle.

found this .. 3.73-down carrier with 4.30 gears. 3.73 down carrier means the input flange is 3.73" lower?

I keep hearing that 3.55 gears are best for the mj, 4.30 shouldn't be that bad if not doing alot of interstate driving right.

Most worried about the spring perches and rear brakes.. just swap everything over, lines too. If I get you guys some measurements you think you can confirm the jeep 44 perches and length?

THe 3.73 down carrier thing is actually talking about something odd about these axles. They're talking about the gear carrier (holds the ring gear), which is ment for 3.73 and numerically lower gears (ie, higher gears). Isuzu had special 'thick' ring gears made so they could put the 4.30 gears on a carrier that was not ment for them. It's not an issue as you can buy the thick gears or swap the carrier for a normal one in the event you want to regrear.

You were thinking about pinion height... It's the same as any low pinion D44.

And I won't comment on if 4.30 gears will work for you or not. I don't know. I'd need more details on your truck and intended usage.

MJ spring perches are 42" centre-centre. SUA.

Flange: It comes stock with a rather strange pinion flange. It is only common to isuzu as far as I know. A pinion yoke from any other D44 or like design can be swapped on it. Or you can run the isuzu flange with the rodeo companion flange that has a spicer 1310 joint. That's the better route as the dana yokes typically suck.

Disks shouldn't cause issues. You'll need to make new brake lines on the axle.

The bolt pattern is 6x5.5. IT won't match the front. If you're 2wd you can run different rims and it's no big deal... Otherwise you can't do much.

Oh, the driveshaft will be off... The D44 pinion is a bit longer. IF you use the dana yoke instead of the isuzu flange, it'd probably be close enough to work.

And it'll be .5" wider than the front axle.

Thanks DC from BC sounds pretty much a simple swap then,, I guess I could get a wheel adapter for the front; might give me the same width up there too. what is the companion flange? is that the flange on the rear of the drive shaft?

THe 3.73 down carrier thing is actually talking about something odd about these axles. They're talking about the gear carrier (holds the ring gear), which is ment for 3.73 and numerically lower gears (ie, higher gears). Isuzu had special 'thick' ring gears made so they could put the 4.30 gears on a carrier that was not ment for them. It's not an issue as you can buy the thick gears or swap the carrier for a normal one in the event you want to regrear.

You were thinking about pinion height... It's the same as any low pinion D44.

And I won't comment on if 4.30 gears will work for you or not. I don't know. I'd need more details on your truck and intended usage.

MJ spring perches are 42" centre-centre. SUA.

I'm going to measure the rodeo rear tomorrow. I'm going to go work on this jeep friday. Ill get some pictures of this jeep so everyone can better understand what I'm working with.

Thanks , you'da'man!

Oh, you might want to think about the parking brakes a bit too. I think you can use the MJ cables, but I wouldn't know.

Could just plumb in a line loc. I know the p-brake pedal mech on the mj is shot . it doesnt even come all the way back up, like a spring is broke or something, and you have to reach down and pull the release because the cable is broken, but for 200 dollars I'm not bitching to much.

I haven't really did anything to the truck just plugs, wires, and cleaned a few fuses to get brake lights back working. The clutch cyl os leaking from the rear seal and did a little damage to the fuse block.

I'm sure to ask all of you a million questions about this truck!!! I had a 91 or 92 xj long time ago the only thing I ever had to do to it was some work on the cooling system, the coolant bottle was leaking air IIRC, and was overheating. oh yeah and a cj-7 but we won't go to what all that thing had wrong with it.

Thinking about the xj.... it had vent windows and this truck doesn't. did any mj's have vent windows , or the quarter glass that would fold out?

Thinking about the xj.... it had vent windows and this truck doesn't. did any mj's have vent windows , or the quarter glass that would fold out?

They're the same doors as on the XJs and yes, the wing window were available on both, and since the doors are the same, you can just use XJ ones on your truck. However, they're notorious for leaking.

Measured the perches and snapped a few pictures today of the rodeo. The pearches were 40" +/- 1/4" from the center of the leafs. That confirms having to cut and weld the perches on the Isuzu 44. Also took a picture of the flange. doesn't look like it would be to hard to make it fit the jeeps.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

What are you doing about the different wheel bolt pattern? Upgrading the frontend too?

nah its 2wd, not a big problem. I could always get a wheel adapter for the front if I ever wanted to have the same wheels. Plus the the wheel adapter would even out the differences from the rear being a few inches wider. I just think this will be a easy way to gain rear disc breaks.

The vent windows were an option on the comanche. It was offered to me when I bought it. I just did not have enough money for all I wanted on it.

I was thinking about those vent windows today at school. Just happened to be two xj's parked near me. One was an older xj I'm guessing 91 (the same model as one I had before) the other was a newer model maybe a 98 or 2k. I saw the door on the newer jeep didnt have the 1/4 glass at all. will those doors fit the 89 mj's? It still had the same body lines so just wondering. thanks, jt

The vent windows were an option on the comanche. It was offered to me when I bought it. I just did not have enough money for all I wanted on it.

I was thinking about those vent windows today at school. Just happened to be two xj's parked near me. One was an older xj I'm guessing 91 (the same model as one I had before) the other was a newer model maybe a 98 or 2k. I saw the door on the newer jeep didnt have the 1/4 glass at all. will those doors fit the 89 mj's? It still had the same body lines so just wondering. thanks, jt

they'll fit just fine but the striker bolt for the latch isnt a bolt like our doors its a loop style. so that has to be switched over as well, but i do think its a fairly easy swap just a little bit of creative thinking

so, theoretically one could find a rodeo with a 44 and swipe the disc brake setup off of it and have it fit an XJ44 right?

and also steal the pinion flange/u-joint holder... cause that thing looks BEEFY

Well yeah I guess you right. I don't know enuff about either so..... but the flange does look pretty strong though.

so, theoretically one could find a rodeo with a 44 and swipe the disc brake setup off of it and have it fit an XJ44 right?

Well yeah I guess you right. I don't know enuff about either so..... but the flange does look pretty strong though.

well the strap style the dana's have on our jeeps tend to wallow out, but can be replaced with u-bolt style instead... but DAMN that flange takes the cake

they'll fit just fine but the striker bolt for the latch isnt a bolt like our doors its a loop style. so that has to be switched over as well, but i do think its a fairly easy swap just a little bit of creative thinking

not a hard swap either huh... I want to thank everybody for the information and suggestions. I'm not a complete idiot about wrenches just never really worked with these trucks b4. Kinda sad because I've driving them in the past.

well the strap style the dana's have on our jeeps tend to wallow out, but can be replaced with u-bolt style instead... but DAMN that flange takes the cake

its the same style the humvees have its a real b^#*h to install. trying to keep the needle bearings in the cap and fitting it in the flange on the ujoint