Rodeo Dana 44 Rear Disc Brakes

A better swap might be the Explorer 8.8. 95-01 has disks and it's the right Jeep rim pattern, 3.55/3.73/4.10 ratios available, and very close to the right width.

indeed, they're also a whole lot better supported in the aftermarket with gearsets/lockers and such.

I vote 8.8.

with this:

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... p-186.html

I did my 8.8 swap for less than $300, one of the best upgrades I ever made.

The isuzu D44 shouldn't be bad for aftermarket. AFAIK the axleshafts are a standard D44 type and you should be able to get chromo shafts for them (custom ones from blanks if nothing else). The internals are the same to other D44s, so there's no shortage of lockers or gear ratios.

so i can swap the brakes and gain a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern? how tough of a swap is it?

From what I have measured on the Isuzu 44 you'll have to cut and reweld the spring perches 1.5" out from center . The springs on the Rodeo sit at 40" and from what DirtyComanche said the jeeps are 43" I really don't know about the flange or drive shafts mating. Getting crafty with brake lines and e-brake cable will have to be worked out. I don't know enuff about the jeep to say go/ no go. I don't even have a mj manual to reference. If I remember right the measurement from backing plate to backing plate was 56.25" I don't have the resources to give accurate answers just the measurements from hands on.

The isuzu D44 shouldn't be bad for aftermarket. AFAIK the axleshafts are a standard D44 type and you should be able to get chromo shafts for them (custom ones from blanks if nothing else). The internals are the same to other D44s, so there's no shortage of lockers or gear ratios.

I thought they had a funny carrier, but I may be thinking of another D44 incarnation.

Anyway, what JP has to say: :roll:

'93-Up Isuzu Dana 44 Rear

The Dana 44 rear in Isuzu cute utes is 58-inches wide, has six-lug axles, and comes from the factory with disc brakes. You'll need to swap out the weird metric flange for a standard Dana 44 1310 or whatever yoke and cut and weld the spring perches to fit.

• 1 year later...

This was one of my first post. :eek: Ive been seeing alot of XJ's with Isuzu 44's in them here lately (mostly krawlers) .. I'm still thinking about this swap to my 2wd.. any more fresh in insight to swapping?? It was said the Isuzu yoke has a metric flange on it. Couldnt the u-joint be swapped to match up the rear drive shaft to the bolt on flange??