How many have seen this...

shelbyluvv

I have heard of it happening but never had first hand experience with it. This the the pan from my 2006 TJ Unlimited. The trans cooler failed and this is the result.

I flushed it with 12 quarts of fresh fluid and replaced the filter. I took it for a ride yesterday and got a CEL after about 30 miles and the pump started whining. I limped it home and ordered another round of fluid and a filter.

When I dropped the pan (I added a drain plug for that reason) there was a little more Pepto in the pan. I dropped the filter and the oring on the cheap Advance filter had split.

I put a new Wix filter in and took it on a drive. For the first few minutes the 3rd gear shift was rough and it had a shudder going into lock up. After about an hour she seemed ok. I pulled off on a side road and brake torqued the hell out of it. She went on to absolutely boil the rear tires. It has never done that before.

I'm happy it is doing ok. I'm making payments on it for another year! Stay tuned for a future update with a golden twist...7b903b12476a123b28b602bbd8383231.jpga68bd06315a2ad4fc9cf2e6b444e53ad.jpg

So a cheap o ring caused all the issues or was there something up with the filter itself? 

More parts that can perform multiple functions means that there are less parts and $$$ required to make the end product, eh Jeep? 

I’m sure the complexity of the added steps helps them justify bringing it in for their monkeys to work on it at a dealer too. 

One time my friends radiator started leaking so he went to pick and pull and grabbed a used one. It was bad and the water got in his tranny and took it out. He ended up grabbing a used tranny to swap in and it ended up not working because the wj tranny was 99 only. Turned into a huge fiasco.

So a cheap o ring caused all the issues or was there something up with the filter itself? 

More parts that can perform multiple functions means that there are less parts and $$$ required to make the end product, eh Jeep? 

I’m sure the complexity of the added steps helps them justify bringing it in for their monkeys to work on it at a dealer too. 
The cooler in the cheap replacement radiator that someone before put in failed first. That caused the trans to stop working. I flushed it and replaced the filter. The next day the pump was screaming again. I dropped the pan and pulled the filter and the oring on the filter split causing the pump to suck air. I flushed it again and replaced the filter. All is well now.

So this is a radiator issue or am I misunderstanding something here? 

Why could someone just not plumb the trans cooling into the radiator and run their own cooler separately like we have in the XJs and MJs. 

If the hookup at the radiator is absolutely necessary and can’t have one side of the wall left dry, why not just plumb it into the loop and fill both sides of the wall with coolant? 

So this is a radiator issue or am I misunderstanding something here? 

Why could someone just not plumb the trans cooling into the radiator and run their own cooler separately like we have in the XJs and MJs. 

If the hookup at the radiator is absolutely necessary and can’t have one side of the wall left dry, why not just plumb it into the loop and fill both sides of the wall with coolant? 
Almost all automatic vehicles have a trans cooler in the radiator from the factory. When the cooler in the radiator fails you get one of two things that happen.

1) tranny fluid in your radiator
or
2) coolant in your transmission.

Mine was option 2.

I bypassed the factory cooler and plugged the ports in the radiator so I can still drive the Jeep until this radiator is replaced.

On my 2006 WK the transmission cooler and AC condenser are the same piece. If it starts leaking at the fittings on the cooler, replace the lines first. That fixed the leak on mine.

Also, buy factory oem lines because they come in a four piece arrangement with a junction block in the middle that allows you to install the lines without dropping the front axle center section, much easier to install.

On my 2006 WK the transmission cooler and AC condenser are the same piece. If it starts leaking at the fittings on the cooler, replace the lines first. That fixed the leak on mine.
Also, buy factory oem lines because they come in a four piece arrangement with a junction block in the middle that allows you to install the lines without dropping the front axle center section, much easier to install.
I bypassed the radiator cooler totally. I put 250 miles on it so far and she seems happy.