89 Eliminator Build?

I have recently acquired an 89 Eliminator. Its in fair shape for the mileage @ 260k, seems to be mostly original california truck. Was owned by my uncle for most of its life, ended up in my Grand Mas garage for about 10 years because it was leaking coolant out the freeze plugs and my uncle was unable to fix. Well uncle Joe and GMA passed and uncle Harold wanted the truck gone, was going to have it towed to the junk yard if I didnt come get it, well I got it. At first I just wanted to get it to be a decent runner for around the property, so I fixed the coolant leaks, new intake exhaust gaskets, injectors, fuel pump, filter, plugs, wires, o2 sensor, adjusted the tps, new IAC, cleaned all the grounds etc. I also did the front suspension, ball joints, bearings, brakes all steering components. The truck now runs good, drives straight and smooth feels good. Biggest issue with the truck is the ax-15 is notchy in 3rd and 4th. Well I have come to a cross roads in my short relationship with my MJ and I am looking to the experts for advise. I either cut my losses now, as i just don't need it and try and recover the parts money I put into the truck(seeing that it will be hard to get good money with the transmission shifting the way it does) to get it where it is now or go full restore and then sell. I really don't have a want or need for an MJ in my life at the moment I have a YJ that I built that suits all those needs. 

So a few questions I have is that I have done a proper amount of research and see that there are "restored" MJ's at varoius levels that sell for 10-15k. I understand that I only see asking price but is the market really that good for these trucks? I'm a Mechanic by trade and have a nice home shop for "side work", lol! I would be looking to completely tear the truck down, bed off, interior out. Rebuild the trans, 4.7 stroker rebuild, 8.8 w/discs and LSD, Long arm kit, not sure about the front yet. Also would consider doing the XJ front clip and interior, or would that take away from the originality of it in terms of resale? All the work would be pretty clean and stock looking, powder coat the rims, don't want to put bunch of personal touches but it will be solid,  capable and period authentic. I have priced out most of the bigger items it would take to do this build and feel I could do it pretty comfortably and have fun doing it. So, Is it possible to get upwards of 15k for a nicely restored MJ? Of course If I do go thru with the build I will be posting progress, so stay tuned and thanks for the input!

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

As a clean straight driver.........2W..........even with the trans problem.......

It's a $3800 to $4200 truck if marketed appropriately. 

Sell it now, if you have no heart in it, no personal desires............you'll never get your money back. 

You'll never see $15K and what you are describing is not a -restoration-. 

8.8 is one of a few mistakes I see here. 

That's a good looking truck and if all you have into it is what it cost to fix it up so far you're well ahead of the game.   I've restored several cars and have done restorations for others.  I've told people that if you love the car and plan to keep it for a long time put whatever you want into it even if exceeds the value of the car.   There are a lot of very nice $25,000+ MG's driving around for example with very happy owners in them.   In many cases they would probably get back what they put into it in parts but not what they paid for it in labour.  In your case the labour is "free" but not really when you go to sell it.

So what you are describing  a restomod not a restoration. Most restomods MJ that are done well can range from 8-12k. Depending on what is done, how well and if the truck is clean and painted. What you are describing I wouldn't except 15k but maybe, just depends. If you are wanting to do a true restoration keep it stock, clean it up and don't swap out a lot of the original parts. Obviously lots of factors go into what constitutes a true restoration and price.   

Thanks for the reply’s! Yea I really don’t have the desire to keep the MJ, but I do have the desire to build cool stuff. I do use the term “restoration” loosely because that’s what I have seemed To find while researching, definitely  various levels of restoration going on. So the $3800-$4200 number surprised me, didn’t think it was worth half that the way it is. And being that it’s possibley worth that much as is is it really unthinkable to get 10-15k with all new(rebuilt) engine/trans/front-rear axles with lockers, fresh paint job, etc.  Again I Don’t even have $1000 into it now and it’s a good driver. I have approx $6k to spend on it if I choose. I work on late model German cars for a living, tearing apart and re-building anything on this Jeep is easy for me and I have lots of tools and a paint guy next door👍

Yea, it would be real clean with new paint. I mentioned 8.8 earlier because I have one laying around, but I see that a d44 would be better. I would repaint the original grey, again everything off except the cab. Try to keep it stock looking but with suspension work and bigger tires. I’m sure lots of guys have come into this forum telling of how they have this rare MJ they want to make a bunch of money on it. But really this just feel into my lap and I really enjoyed building my YJ so I came here because I figured there where possibly a couple people here that know what there talking about. So thanks for the input. 

remember, it's your truck so whatever brings you the most smiles is the route you should take. :D   be careful though, as these trucks are quite addictive.  spend enough time in them and you won't want to sell it.  :comanche:  spend more time and you'll be contemplating buying a second one. 

Just wait 'til you take it to car shows. :D 

1 hour ago, Quite Man said:

Thanks for the reply’s! Yea I really don’t have the desire to keep the MJ, but I do have the desire to build cool stuff. I do use the term “restoration” loosely because that’s what I have seemed To find while researching, definitely  various levels of restoration going on. So the $3800-$4200 number surprised me, didn’t think it was worth half that the way it is. And being that it’s possibley worth that much as is is it really unthinkable to get 10-15k with all new(rebuilt) engine/trans/front-rear axles with lockers, fresh paint job, etc.  Again I Don’t even have $1000 into it now and it’s a good driver. I have approx $6k to spend on it if I choose. I work on late model German cars for a living, tearing apart and re-building anything on this Jeep is easy for me and I have lots of tools and a paint guy next door👍

See Limeyjeeper's thread below. 

I suspect he'll have $40K invested by the time he's done, if he isn't there already. 

The numbers I gave you are low, I believe, particularly as time goes on, unmolested, clean, straight, rust-free, trucks will average in the $6K range. 

Two things I cannot stand- BSers and Cheerleaders, I tell it like it is. 

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything. 

For example,  you mentioned- 'box-off restoration'.......paint and body, I'm assuming?

You got a paint buddy, good, get a quote. 

A custom/production shop which will take a full paint like that will have about 100-120 hours invested. Limey got his done for $10K. 

I did mine at home, extensive work, I'm north of 700 hours and north of $2K in materials/tools. 

All personal thrills aside......your time is money. Every day you come home it sits there, waiting for your attention.......it's taxing. 

However, there are things which will only get done if you do it. Don't count on a shop to strip your frame, paint to color, repair all your broken bolts/threads.......etc...

What I have invested in mine is irrelevant, several transmissions, suspensions, new engine which will be replaced, mistakes and re-dos. 

The Chrysler 8.25 is very well suited for the MJ. In my 9 years of MJ escapades, I've only seen one factory 29 spline 4.10 with LSD and I have it, it's a keeper. 

$6K budget? The 'stroker' alone will eat that up.

The transmission I want is $6K- http://www.rsgear.com/products/off-road-truck-transmissions

You mentioned 'long arms'. Suspension- springs, shackles, shocks, long-arms, brakes, wheels, tires......rear axle/fab.....there goes your $6K.

Wiring, connectors, sensors, nuts and bolts, this part and that part, searching for NOS.......etc..........will nickle and dime you to death. 

Yeah, cool trucks.........but.........the days of $400 donors and easy to find parts are now long gone.....those days have passed. 

Just be aware. 

And mine-

2 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

See Limeyjeeper's thread below. 

I suspect he'll have $40K invested by the time he's done, if he isn't there already. 

The numbers I gave you are low, I believe, particularly as time goes on, unmolested, clean, straight, rust-free, trucks will average in the $6K range. 

Two things I cannot stand- BSers and Cheerleaders, I tell it like it is. 

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything. 

For example,  you mentioned- 'box-off restoration'.......paint and body, I'm assuming?

You got a paint buddy, good, get a quote. 

A custom/production shop which will take a full paint like that will have about 100-120 hours invested. Limey got his done for $10K. 

I did mine at home, extensive work, I'm north of 700 hours and north of $2K in materials/tools. 

All personal thrills aside......your time is money. Every day you come home it sits there, waiting for your attention.......it's taxing. 

However, there are things which will only get done if you do it. Don't count on a shop to strip your frame, paint to color, repair all your broken bolts/threads.......etc...

What I have invested in mine is irrelevant, several transmissions, suspensions, new engine which will be replaced, mistakes and re-dos. 

The Chrysler 8.25 is very well suited for the MJ. In my 9 years of MJ escapades, I've only seen one factory 29 spline 4.10 with LSD and I have it, it's a keeper. 

$6K budget? The 'stroker' alone will eat that up.

The transmission I want is $6K- http://www.rsgear.com/products/off-road-truck-transmissions

You mentioned 'long arms'. Suspension- springs, shackles, shocks, long-arms, brakes, wheels, tires......rear axle/fab.....there goes your $6K.

Wiring, connectors, sensors, nuts and bolts, this part and that part, searching for NOS.......etc..........will nickle and dime you to death. 

Yeah, cool trucks.........but.........the days of $400 donors and easy to find parts are now long gone.....those days have passed. 

Just be aware. 

And mine-

Right, fully aware! I always appreciate when people tell me they are telling me like it is, while telling me like it is! This is the kind of answer is what was hoping for, a slap of reality if you will. Although for me personally those numbers are way off, I understand the the commitment financially, physically, emotionally, I have been there. This won't be my first rodeo. Maybe I came of a little ambitious but again, truck was free, its all original, no rust, no body damage. I live in so cal and jeep parts are a plenty out here. Engine rebuilds, transmissions, electrical, suspension is my daily. Got an old school body guy next door and my helper(8yr old son) can handle a DA pretty good!   Sean-

14 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

As a clean straight driver.........2W..........even with the trans problem.......

It's a $3800 to $4200 truck if marketed appropriately. 

Sell it now, if you have no heart in it, no personal desires............you'll never get your money back. 

You'll never see $15K and what you are describing is not a -restoration-. 

8.8 is one of a few mistakes I see here. 

Excuse my ignorance, but what does ...............2W....... mean? Thanks!

IMHO- Fresh paint and trans rebuild would be all I would do. That is if you can get the paint done very reasonably which it sounds like you can.No need to fix what's not broken. Factory correct color on the paint also. Not allot of people are going to spend over $10K on a 30+ year old truck. Most of the built ones that are over $10k that are for sale have been for sale a while.

15 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

IMHO- Fresh paint and trans rebuild would be all I would do. That is if you can get the paint done very reasonably which it sounds like you can.No need to fix what's not broken. Factory correct color on the paint also. Not allot of people are going to spend over $10K on a 30+ year old truck. Most of the built ones that are over $10k that are for sale have been for sale a while.

Thats really all I was going to do in the beginning, then I went down the "if I'm gonna" road, lol! Thank you for the advise.

2 minutes ago, Quite Man said:

Thats really all I was going to do in the beginning, then I went down the "if I'm gonna" road, lol! Thank you for the advise.

I understand completely but if your not going to keep it I doubt you will get all the extra $$ back out of it. It is a very good looking truck. 

I'm basically taking a really good 89 Eliminator back to showroom look. No mods what so ever. 2500 paint job and about 1500 more in various small stuff. I've done a 99 Suburban. You can blow thru your 6k budget real fast and still not get much. With that one I have close to 5 grand just in the engine and exhaust. Never did paint it but that was another 3k. I bought that for 3k and sold it for 3k. In the end it's a 30 year old truck not a 68 GTO or 57 Belair. Market is small. Yours does look like a solid 4k as she sits.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original