Swaybar, who needs it!

Weird, I guess it was after market. The PO didn't know much about the truck and apparently neither do I....

Too bad I threw it out :thwak:

Yeah, you had a rare jewel there. The only folks I know that ever made a bolt-in rear sway for the MJ (SWB only) was/is Performance System Technology in NJ. Design was bad on theirs as they used the stock upper shock mount with a simple "L" bracket for the sway bar retainer. I think a well designed rear sway for a lifted MJ with discos would be useful for highway driving.

The PO had the entire rear end replaced (brand new 44, shocks, etc jamminz.gif ) - maybe he had the shop throw in a swaybar? Who knows, the 44 and bar are both gone. Kinda wish I still had it... :roll: BTW I have a LWB, maybe it was custom? :brows: I'd like to think so

Coulda Woulda Shoulda. But you really think a rear sway bar would have much benificial effects? Maybe if your bed is loaded up, but empty (which I guess is a rare thing for us manche owners) seems to me like it wouldn't do much.

Anyone care to enlighten me further on this matter? :popcorn:

Suppose I could hold up an XJ bar in the back too if I had one to see if it would possibly work.........

Been trying to do this myself...at least in my head. Possibly going to pick up an xj rear bar and the brackets from the junkyard to give it a go.

The problem I see here is the spring tie plate. I've been going back and forth with my haynes manual and visually examining the manche.

If you've got any ideas anyone be sure to post em :cheers:

i had the swaybar off my xj and put it up on the back of my MJ and it won't really fit to well...the bends and stuff don't contour with the back of the MJ anywhere...

Congrats! You just killed any hope I had! ;) Thanks for saving the trouble though

Hey guys, I couldn't resist and get overly technical. Here goes.

In the engineering world we use what is called a free body diagram, where the external forces are identified. The sway bar is an internal force and it has no effect of when the vehicle with flip. In a turn the forces on the vehicle are our friend gravity, so called centifugal force(CF) and the inside and outside load on the tires. Focusing on the rolling action, the difference between the vertical component of the forces at the wheels is dependent of the height of the center of gravity and the width of the track. Flip over occurs when the combine force on the center of gravity from the CF and gravity pass outside of the outside tire patch. The only effect that a rolling body has is it does move the center of gravity(CoG). Yes, the higher the CoG the more significant movement occurs. Therefore, contary to popular belief a sway does not affect the amount of force on the tire patchs. What it does is maintains the geometry of the suspension (doesn't apply to solid axles), which keeps more of the tire in contact to maximize the lateral friction.

The problem is that a car with a sway bar may feel safer so one may corner faster and hit the critical speed, when a nonequipped vehicle scares the driver. Hence, keep the CoG low so that the tires break a little to reduce the CF component. Therefore, the higher you raise the center of gravity, the more critical a sway bar is to limit the lateral travel of the CoG.

There the answer is the same, but now you know why you need the sway bar.

If you what some real fun, take off the shocks. Just don't do for long and keep the speed down.

i had the swaybar off my xj and put it up on the back of my MJ and it won't really fit to well...the bends and stuff don't contour with the back of the MJ anywhere...

Congrats! You just killed any hope I had! ;) Thanks for saving the trouble though

Nothing says you have to use a bar from an XJ. :D

Running withou sway bar is dangerous, regardless of whether or not it's lifted. The factory doesn't spend money on things they don't need. Those things are there for a reason.

I agree the reason is to maintain control of the Jeep at hi speed.

Well, I should have qualified my statement with " ... on the road," but I won't go so far as to limit the sway bar's application to "high" speed. Remember, Shaun rolled his XJ at 30 MPH. That magazine that rolled their test Libertine did it in a low-speed slalom, not on the highway.

I agree that a sway bar limits suspension articulation and is a hindrance for low-speed off-road use. But it is essential for safe operation on legal roads, IMHO regardless of speed unless you routinely limit your speeds to under 20 MPH.

Throw some ideas my way! :brows:

Also, IIRC, XJ front sways will work, correct?

the addco super beefy front sways will work no problem.

for a rear sway, I'd go and look under some rangers and dakotas, they had them.

Might want to look at exploders too, it seemed pretty beefy when I cut it off the 8.8

I think that a crown vic might also be worth taking a look under with a measuring tape/

Throw some ideas my way! :brows:

The only idea I can suggest is take some measurements of your truck and go to a junkyard and start poking your head under SUVs. Plenty of them have rear bars, you just need one that will fit the space under your MJ. But you'll need a plan of attack too. Mostly, how are you planning to attach it to your frame? That'll have a huge impact on which bar will work best. Maybe the trip to the J-yard will give you some ideas.