Renix Cruise Control

Has anyone ever had cruise control just stop working? I go to engage it one day as I was driving home and I smelt an electrical burning smell. I have replaced everything(including wiring harness) with a spare set I had. I did get it to engage for maybe a minute with the old regulator but now nothing. I have done the FSM adjustment and it engages for a second and it stops operating. I have vacuum where I need it to be and I am getting vacuum from the cannister.

Anyone just run into this and be baffled by why it won't engage? Does anyone have the dealer tool? AM PC-1-R?

I'd lean towards the yellow trim box next. I have about a half dozen of them. No clue if any of them work. I'd like to setup cruise on a build when I start soon hopefully but Renix cruise just seems like a complete pia. Like literally makes me ask myself "why on earth am I using Renix as I'm starting over when I have h.o. everything to?" So that's kinda my lazy logic at this point giving up on restoration to original and do what I want.

Yup. I keep testing them with the pots in different positions. H.O. Won’t work with Renix sadly. H.O. Computer has cruise built in so it’s plug and play. Renix cruise isn’t a PITA, well installing it is but once it’s in there and some fine adjustments it’s awesome to have. I’ve just never heard or have cruise just lay down and die until now. 

(two hours ago)Well damn...I blew something on the regulator. Plugged in the old regulator after doing some adjustments and poof a plume of smoke. Did some tracing on the board to the wiring after I got home and found it is the white wire that leads to the servo. Servo bad? I don't know. All I know is that it has Ohm resistance that is less than infinite according to the FSM.

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yup. I keep testing them with the pots in different positions. H.O. Won’t work with Renix sadly. H.O. Computer has cruise built in so it’s plug and play. Renix cruise isn’t a PITA, well installing it is but once it’s in there and some fine adjustments it’s awesome to have. I’ve just never heard or have cruise just lay down and die until now. 

I think you misunderstood. I could go either complete ho setup or renix. So I meant why bother with a renix setup if I have both to choose from in front of me.

53 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

i thought Renix era cruise were electronic, mine had a square box with an electric motor inside...

Its an electro-vacuum set up. So far I'm at a loss. The original regulator blew a resistor. The new one just won't do a damn thing. Everything seems to be in working order but I can not tell for certain. It all worked prior to tearing out the dash to install AC. But that is it. I haven't disturbed the set up and all I did was unplug the servo from the vacuum line and unmount it to move it out of the way for the moment. The only thing I found on the dash side was the ground cable that Cruiser recommends to do was torn away from the mounting stud. That has since been repaired.

mine has no vacuum stuff, all electric, i rewired it as a crude electronic throttle control, the OEM speed controls are long gone and i have a manual tranny so cruise control it´s useless for me... with this setup i accelerate, shift to top gear and lock the throttle in place, with 2 buttons for adjust + and - , pressing the brake resets the system... the only thing left to do is find a way to tune the + and - buttons: + is rather slow to increase the rpms but i have to quickly tap the - or else the throttle goes all the way down...

42 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Its an electro-vacuum set up. So far I'm at a loss. The original regulator blew a resistor. The new one just won't do a damn thing. Everything seems to be in working order but I can not tell for certain. It all worked prior to tearing out the dash to install AC. But that is it. I haven't disturbed the set up and all I did was unplug the servo from the vacuum line and unmount it to move it out of the way for the moment. The only thing I found on the dash side was the ground cable that Cruiser recommends to do was torn away from the mounting stud. That has since been repaired.

Have you tested vacuum at all locations? What about at column on the stalk electrical wise. This is why renix cruise is a pia cause there is way too many parts and in mostly tight nasty places to get to especially around the feed in through firewall(another good spot for shorts or leaks).

I'm leaning towards 3 things. It's getting triggered off due to lack of vacuum, bad brake switch(killing the set position) or the stalk itself might be causing it. I'm pretty sure there was an issue with the brake switch and had a service bulletin on it. It might be in Cruisers tips. I know I have seen plenty from 84 up that had some extra wires off the switch wired directly to the fuse panel. Some had built it fuses in between. I know this was problematic on xjs but I never had cruise so I never bothered to read further into it.

Well I finally figured it out. After some rigorous testing of the entire circuit and swapping parts around, it boiled down to one regulator blowing a couple resistors and the other being inop. JMO sent me his old regulator that allowed me to come to this conclusion. 

Nice to have cruise and something functioning again. 

13 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Well I finally figured it out. After some rigorous testing of the entire circuit and swapping parts around, it boiled down to one regulator blowing a couple resistors and the other being inop. JMO sent me his old regulator that allowed me to come to this conclusion. 

Nice to have cruise and something functioning again. 

Any more detail and/or pics of the repair? I have non-functioning cruise also and while it could certainly be one of many things, this could be good info to start with troubleshooting. 

9 minutes ago, WahooSteeler said:

Any more detail and/or pics of the repair? I have non-functioning cruise also and while it could certainly be one of many things, this could be good info to start with troubleshooting. 

Actually...it’s really was a matter of swapping out the regulator(the yellow box) and testing it. There is a factory testing procedure for testing the regulator, on one side is two pots both get positioned at the ten o clock position and the third one gets turned all the way to the left. 

C253843D-DB73-416D-BD9D-4D272E931923.jpeg.0c2609dd61b6d442fdfa251b223ab258.jpeg

I used a test light to test the stalk and brake light functions. 

24 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Wish I had time to see what's inside of one of these things and see if I could fix it :(

Well when ever you find time I have my busted one that I may or may not be able to fix. Solder is a bit out of my skill but might try it if I find the right resistor needed.