Country music/non mainstream

ftpiercecracker1

Its probably a sign that I'm getting older (27), but it seems to me that if you don't cater the teens/early twenties/party crowd you can pretty much forget about being on the radio.

Every once in a while on youtube i'll stubble onto a new song from some obsure artist  that inevitably leads me down a rabbit hole of pure heart and soul musical talent and originality. 

Where am i going with this? This is the most recent gem i stubbled into.

I know we all have our own opinion of what "country" is but i think any reasonable person would admit that country stations are overrun with party esque songs sung by individuals who make Ellen DeGeneres look more country than Charlie Daniels. Not to say there is something inherently wrong with that, but i would like to see some variety. Anymore i just listen to NPR or use pandora or a similar service, because its just the same d**n thing over and over again. 

Decades back, I used to refer to our local radio station as "WKRP" (Yes, they even have the morning hog reports!).  But along the way I began to appreciate their AM broadcast a bit more.  They just play "classic" country.  Classic as in most of the artists are dead.  But I can still enjoy listening to that more than newer country or "rap crap".  I'm getting old too.

5 hours ago, amsuco said:

Decades back, I used to refer to our local radio station as "WKRP" (Yes, they even have the morning hog reports!).  But along the way I began to appreciate their AM broadcast a bit more.  They just play "classic" country.  Classic as in most of the artists are dead.  But I can still enjoy listening to that more than newer country or "rap crap".  I'm getting old too.

I’m 15 and I hate the “rap crap”. I don’t know if anyone truly likes it. 

Our local/regional country station WOKQ claims to be "New Country" … New Country is POP, not Country. 

I'm not saying it's all bad.  Much of it still has a good message.  

I should add … I'm a baby boomer.