Trying to figure out which vacuum line actuates the cad diaphragm actuator. I am at Pismo beach with a few kids and the quads and my front axle is not engaging. I remember actuating it with a vacuum pump a few years ago while troubleshooting. I just need to know which port to apply vacuum to get it engaged. 

well, I don't know which is which, but I do know you can unbolt the CAD housing, slide the locking collar over to lock it, then either retain it there with a bad clamp or simply reinstall the housing upside down (the fork will then keep it engaged).  :L: 

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about should I troubleshoot it and get it running correctly, or just swap out to a 1 piece axle? Mechanically it seems pretty simple. Vacuum source, switch on transfer case and vacuum actuator. The shift fork and the collar look ok the axle ends looked clean not all wore out. What year and model axles do I look for to eliminate the whole cad system?

7AE8125E-18EB-40FF-BD81-E90951E038F4.jpeg

starting in like 95 Jeep switched to a larger Ujoint (plus older XJs that came with ABS).  If I was going to all the effort of swapping shafts, I'd go for the upgrade too. :L:  TJ shafts work too.  If you're wanting a whole new axle, now's the time to think about a gear ratio upgrade too.

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

or just slide the collar over, lock in place permanently and call it a day. :L: 

^^^ This.

There are some people who feel the CAD housing mount for the upper control arm is sturdier than the sheet metal bracket they used on the non-CAD axles. I don't disagree. I'm not going to swap an older CAD axle into my 2000 XJ, but the MJs and the old XJ are just going to have the CAD locked in the engaged position, and go forward from there.

The problem with keeping a working CAD is that it's not a question of "if" it will fail, at's a question of "when" it will fail. And it always fails when you need it. Been there, done that.