WJ control arms on an MJ.

mfpdm

Has anyone done this swap? I know you have to shave the ends down a little to make them fit the MJ mounts. I was going to get some RE adj. control arms but came across these. I like the extra tire clearance and the solid feel of them. Pros and Cons would be appreciated. :cheers:

I put them on my 90. They are the same length as stock MJ arms, but a hair wider so you need to trim the bushings a bit.

before trimming is on the right, after is on the left:

To get full flex, I also trimmed here on the arms:

And here on the axle (where it touches the arm):

I put them on my 90. They are the same length as stock MJ arms, but a hair wider so you need to trim the bushings a bit.

before trimming is on the right, after is on the left:

To get full flex, I also trimmed here on the arms:

And here on the axle (where it touches the arm):

So basically you just cut off what was sticking out pass the bushing sleeve and a little trimming. How much difference did you notice after you installed them and how much lift do you have on the 90 MJ? I have around 4 inches and was concerned about centering in the wheel well.

Check the tech section on www.madxj.com for a write-up that explains the slight mods you need to do to make them fit.

I read that one and didn't see anything about trimming other than the bushing. May have to read it again. I like the mods on his page and the nice write-ups.

:cheers:

So basically you just cut off what was sticking out pass the bushing sleeve and a little trimming. How much difference did you notice after you installed them and how much lift do you have on the 90 MJ? I have around 4 inches and was concerned about centering in the wheel well.

Well, the project isn't finished yet so I can't comment on the ride.

I'm at stock 4wd height. If you've got 4", then you're going to need longer arms. The caster will be quite poor and the tire will be too close to the back of the wheel well.

I got a set that I gave to my neighbor to take into his shop at work and cut them on an industrial band saw. Someone else in the shop grabbed them and did the work, and they cut the bushing flush with the outside edge of the arms, and on one of them actually slipped and cut into the arm itself about 1/16" :headpop: Worst part is he didn't cut the inner bushing that the bolt rides in.....said he wasn't sure how short I wanted it to be :headpop: :headpop:

after I TOLD my neighbor to only take off .48" (or whatever the metric equivalent is, I forget now).

Not sure if the one he hacked is useable or not..... :headpop: :headpop: :headpop:

Jeff

(no, I'm not bitter or anything)

Well, the project isn't finished yet so I can't comment on the ride. I'm at stock 4wd height. If you've got 4", then you're going to need longer arms. The caster will be quite poor and the tire will be too close to the back of the wheel well.

I'm really like at 3.5 in. up front and 4.5 in. back. It has the stock MJ arms on right now and sits pretty good. I was planning on some RE adj arms anyway (especially now that I have a set of RE 4.5 springs on the way) but I had remember that these were a good upgrade. I thought they would be a bit longer. :(

What about drop brackets or is it not worth the trouble?

Oh well I guess they will be in the classified section soon. :D

i think drop brackets and those arms would be a good combo , and since u already have those arms i say go for it and spend the saved money els were like on a locker or something useful.

but please lets not get started on drop brackets again :brows:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the WJ lowers on today, not too bad of a job. Had to grind away a bit as Pete mentioned so it wouldn't hit the mount on top at the frame end. Biggest problem was the axle moving when discoing the old arms. The good old bottle jack saved my arse there. Funny, on the passsengers side the axle moved forward; on the drivers side the axle moved backwards.

No more tire rub, and the new arms help smooth out bumps, but the biggest difference is that it corners much flatter now; hardly any roll any more. Well worth doing jamminz.gif

thanks hornbrod for the effects... sounds like thats what i'll be doin to my truck when i can get the 2" spacers in.

Noticed when I removed my old LCAs they were all buggered up on the bottom up from lifting with the jack. No damage, but scarred pretty good. I've searched my FSM and can not find: what are are the "correct" lifting/jacking points on the MJ frame?