Spring under ???'s

Working on a side project now, and debating what lift to get. I would like to clear 33's, and need it out of the garage soon. The big debate was a spring over vs. spring under, and I see the advantages of spring over. However, w/o a welder and w/ time being an issue, I'm now thinking the rustys spring packs in the rear will be easier. Does anyone run them? What tire size will they clear? Any heads up before i buy ( I gotta move this thing soon). Also, any pics of anyone that runs them? Thanks in advance!!! :cheers:

Working on a side project now, and debating what lift to get. I would like to clear 33's, and need it out of the garage soon. The big debate was a spring over vs. spring under, and I see the advantages of spring over. However, w/o a welder and w/ time being an issue, I'm now thinking the rustys spring packs in the rear will be easier. Does anyone run them? What tire size will they clear? Any heads up before i buy ( I gotta move this thing soon). Also, any pics of anyone that runs them? Thanks in advance!!! :cheers:
I think someone still sells the spring over perches. They simply utilize your old perched for positioning, and the leafs get clamped down like that instead.

WOW!! SMALL WORLD!! I am just up the hill, in Meriden! :D

I am also running the Rustys rear leafs. No issues clearing 33's with them spring under.

Check out my post in projects section.

CW

Thanks for all the replys....89Eliminator, I just might copy your truck, it looks awesome. CWLongshot.....its a smaller world than u think! On my way to work last week I was sitting at the light of Hanover and rt. 68 in wallingford behind you ( not in the comanche though) but the truck looks great too :cheers: Ive seen it in town a few times and wouldnt mind checkin it out.

Thanks for all the replys....89Eliminator, I just might copy your truck, it looks awesome. CWLongshot.....its a smaller world than u think! On my way to work last week I was sitting at the light of Hanover and rt. 68 in wallingford behind you ( not in the comanche though) but the truck looks great too :cheers: Ive seen it in town a few times and wouldnt mind checkin it out.

I have been driving the TJ for about a week...its been over a month since i had it out so I figured before it gets too cold I'll drive the TJ!!

Next time ya see me, flag me down!!

CW

id do spring over all day long. plus your perches and shock mounts won't get hung up in hte mud or end up scraping on rocks.

I tend to agree with this.

Depends on your use with those 33's.

Is this a light trial duty machine, or the occasional off road toy?

If so, I'd stay SUA to avoid the headache that is going SOA with new shocks/mounts/potential axlewrap.

Is this gonna be a toy used in the big rocks, or on serious trails?

Go SOA, and do it right, with the proper welded on perches, and shock mounts raise to the centerline of the tube.

My spring plates are destroyed, my shocks take a beating, hell, the shock mounts on the plates are so bent I have to use a hammer to put the shock eye over them.

So, in short, go SOA if it's a serous trail machine, getting stuck on the spring plates sucks.

Well

If you are building a truck for mostly street driving and very mild trails and you have 300.00 to spend on the Rustys springs I think that’s a good way to go

Now if you plan to wheel your MJ fairly often and on more aggressive trails. And if you don’t have 300 Bucks to spend, SOA is the way to go and the Rocky Road system does work perfectly if you really can’t get anyone to weld the perches. Although you still have the shock plate below the axel but you do have about 3" more ground clearance below the mounts and later you can use u-bolts and relocate the shock mount, and you save about 200.bucks

Or get the small std perch and torque the u-bolts and drive to a welder and have them welded ,but that may cost about the same as the no weld units after paying to have it welded “around here anyway”

don't get all worried about the SUA setup snagging every rock you go over. Some SIMPLE changes and you will be just fine!!!

Every wheeler thats worth his salt has moved a lower shock mount up. Its SIMPLE!!! Then buy a set of thick lower U-Bolt plates that protect the nuts OR get/make a U-Bolt flip and again your DONE!!

Many could argue the attributes of having the spring below the axle as it acts as a ramp to slide up and over obsticals that may snag on the axle tube when SOA... Once these type of additions have been made. Just something to ponder.

I have been over and trru some nasty stuff since doing these changes...never have I been snagged by my rear SOA set up, never.

CW

I should have been more clear, I ordered the whole kit, more specifically, the one w/ the spring packs. The rear isnt the issue at all, and its actually coming together fine, just pissed me off when i first opened it up.

Well then what is it u need to know ? I'm sure we could help

don't get all worried about the SUA setup snagging every rock you go over. Some SIMPLE changes and you will be just fine!!!

Every wheeler thats worth his salt has moved a lower shock mount up. Its SIMPLE!!! Then buy a set of thick lower U-Bolt plates that protect the nuts OR get/make a U-Bolt flip and again your DONE!!

Many could argue the attributes of having the spring below the axle as it acts as a ramp to slide up and over obsticals that may snag on the axle tube when SOA... Once these type of additions have been made. Just something to ponder.

I have been over and trru some nasty stuff since doing these changes...never have I been snagged by my rear SOA set up, never.

CW

as always CW has come up with an elegant solution to the problem.

My question though, if going through all the trouble of relocating the mounts and getting new u bolt plates, why not just go SOA and save the money on the springs?

I suppose I just have a different view. Especially since I've made the decision to be leaf spring free in the future.

Got my rustys spring pack kit today..........without directions! AWESOME. This should be fun, considering its apart and needs to move asap. Pretty pissed off w/ them right now.

Well some on the site may "rib you", I understand you bought something that gets installed and you expected some paperwork that at the very least tells you to remove the old springs and install the new spring in reverse. But any time a company sells to the general public they should include detailed instructions that cover the removal, install and all safety aspects of the install as well as all tools you will need to do the job.

(Not everyone is a Know it all) and would like to have instructions just like you

You should be disappointed and don’t let others tell you different.

Call rustys and ask them why you didn’t get them. I bet they say, they should be with the kit or direct you to an online PDF.

jamminz.gif

I should have been more clear, I ordered the whole kit, more specifically, the one w/ the spring packs. The rear isnt the issue at all, and its actually coming together fine, just pissed me off when i first opened it up.

Well then what is it u need to know ? I'm sure we could help