5 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Something there isn't right. 

Are you sure that is the harness for the pump?

20190622_142949.jpg

I just got this jeep from down south. Its pumping fine. I think it's a cheap aftermarket unit from rock auto or something 

44 minutes ago, Eric sicca said:

I just got this jeep from down south. Its pumping fine. I think it's a cheap aftermarket unit from rock auto or something 

OK.............well.....................

Fuel pump plugs into C139 which has three wires, red, black, tan.

Red is power, black is ground, tan is gauge. 

I have no idea what you have it tapped into but it ain't C139. 

Someone here will post for you a link to the '88 electrical manual............you need to trace this down. 

And that type of splice is not acceptable for longevity. 

46 minutes ago, Eric sicca said:

Well, now that you mention it..........

From the south or not, from rockauto or not........that is not an MJ pump/sender anyway. 

Anyway, Welcome!

12 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Well, now that you mention it..........

From the south or not, from rockauto or not........that is not an MJ pump/sender anyway. 

Anyway, Welcome!

Well it fits and runs just fine so I'm assuming it is a aftermarket pump.  My mechanic friend said  to just touch the wires together until the right one makes the needle jump.. I was leery of this but he saying it's fine since anything is is o ly 12 volts and won t cuase an issue

14 minutes ago, Eric sicca said:

Funny

If you want help from us you will have to be more forthcoming......that's how it works, we are not here to pull teeth. 

You could have told us from the beginning that it was a late model swap, that said, I still don't believe that is the harness even for a later pump. Too many wires. 

You may have 12v from somewhere and the pump may run.........but............it still does not look right. 

29 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

If you want help from us you will have to be more forthcoming......that's how it works, we are not here to pull teeth. 

You could have told us from the beginning that it was a late model swap, that said, I still don't believe that is the harness even for a later pump. Too many wires. 

You may have 12v from somewhere and the pump may run.........but............it still does not look right. 

From that connector in your photo, backtrack the harness to wherever it goes and see where it splice into the MJ harness. Could be a second plate of spaghetti wires waiting for you. Maybe fuel gauge wire live there or can tell you which wire goes to the gauge.

37 minutes ago, Eric sicca said:

Maybe that faded pinkish was violet at one time

That harness you have is not factory. It's a 'someone added me on harness'. Harness needs backtracking or if you're feeling lucky, just connect it to your loose wires one at a time.

2 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

That harness you have is not factory. It's a 'someone added me on harness'. Harness needs backtracking or if you're feeling lucky, just connect it to your loose wires one at a time.

NOt feeling lucky.... that's why I asked for help