Factory suspension components

Hi everyone,

Ive been lurking for a long time and getting a bunch of questions answered so this will be my first question.

This first part is just some back story if you want it, otherwise skip ahead. 

I’ve been debating on which lift to get for my Manche (3.5 or 4.5). While under the truck doing some homework, I saw a few things that look out of place. It appears that it has had more suspension work done than I previously thought. I knew it had WJ L and UCA’s and a WJ sway bar plus a 2” lift puck. What I’m seeing now is the UCA perches have been hacked up and the LCA may have a drop bracket. I attached some pics so hopefully someone can school me if I’m an idiot. 

I’m looking for some pics and/or specs for stock suspension components along with some answers.

Is my UCA perch mangled for a reason? 

Is that really a drop bracket on my LCA? 

Is my track bar factory or adjustable aftermarket?

Whats the drop on an OEM pitman arm?

How can you tell the difference between a leaf pack with an AAL vs an MT leaf pack? 

And finally, does this make sense to anyone or am I just rambling? 

Thanks! 

3A79ABF3-7706-4AC8-9527-7D92B2F224F3.jpeg

F2E4D57F-05D7-4452-BB53-8204A47A00C7.jpeg

D95601AF-2AFE-4E77-BC3A-6F5FCD8FEBE6.jpeg

3DA21A99-D1D3-4415-B77F-69E5AB7B5606.jpeg

-Looks like an adjustable track bar. Not sure what type though.

-No not a drop bracket on your LCA, just a hacked up mess

-You can count the leafs on your spring pack to see if a AAL. I bet someone will chime in with the normal number. I believe the MT would be thicker but I wouldn't bet on that. 

-The UCA looks like someone took a plasma to make the WJ arm fit

-I don't know the "drop" on a pitman but there is a bend on it

Some trimming is necessary to make WJ arms fit... Although that looks excessive and sloppy to me, yeah. I also think most people are doing their trimming on the control arms, not the tabs. 

Sudpension and steering components, at least up front, are identical to XJ components. It might help you find whatever specs you're looking for. 

28 minutes ago, JefCooks said:

Does anybody have tips on how to bastard pack it so I can gain about 2-3 inches? I would maintain a better ride with longer leads correct?

because of the wild variation in spring sag in old leafs, there's no exact plan for that, but you can use any SUA truck from the junkyard that has the same width leafs (2.5"?) and mix and match 'til you find what you want.  :L:   Dakotas, S-10s and F-150s come to mind.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:49 AM, JefCooks said:

Is my UCA perch mangled for a reason? 

Is that really a drop bracket on my LCA? 

D95601AF-2AFE-4E77-BC3A-6F5FCD8FEBE6.jpeg

3DA21A99-D1D3-4415-B77F-69E5AB7B5606.jpeg

This truck has had an interesting life.  That gaping hole in the frame under the UCA bucket isn't normal. Kind of looks like the UCA bucket started separating from the frame and the mangled welds were a (poor) attempt at repair.

I'd like to see a side profile shot of the LCA mount.  I'm not convinced that is a drop bracket.  Doesn't look like it drops much lower than the stock mount. Plus, a drop bracket wouldn't be necessary with WJ arms.  And, you wouldn't typically install a LCA drop without dropping the UCA mounts too.  

What would cause this damage? Hard to say. Undercarriage doesn't look all that rusty. Maybe someone wheeled the hell out of it in a past life.

I reccomend finding someone who actually knows how to weld to look into boxing and stiffening the frame in that area.