Relay Box Mess

Alrighty boys, this is a weird one. So I was troubleshooting my relays for my MJ, and I went to pull a relay out of the relay box in the engine compartment. As I went to pull it, I noticed that it was making a squishy noise. Once I pulled it out, there was a nasty, swampy, fungal mess growing on the underside of my relay, and inside my relay box. I ran out of daylight, so I wasn't able to get a pic, but it is bad enough to warrant a complete swap of the relay box. I can't seem to find it on Rock Auto. Does anyone know where I can look, how difficult this is going to be to swap, and if this is a common thing? I definitely know this is the reason I wasn't getting fuel to the engine. 

Thanks

What year is the truck? You really should create a signature with this info, as it's going to be asked every single time. This time, it really matters.

Isn't the Renix "relay box" just four or five relay connectors in a line? If so, you probably can find a close enough box available new, and it might even have some weatherproofing so this doesn't happen again. The HO relay box is much, much more involved and will need to be sourced from a donor.

What year is the truck? You really should create a signature with this info, as it's going to be asked every single time. This time, it really matters.

Isn't the Renix "relay box" just four or five relay connectors in a line? If so, you probably can find a close enough box available new, and it might even have some weatherproofing so this doesn't happen again. The HO relay box is much, much more involved and will need to be sourced from a donor.

I will create a signature. It’s and 87 4.0. If it is a few relay connectors in a line, then this should be easy enough then. I’m just literally going on blind here. Never done anything like this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, CptVanGuard said:

I will create a signature. It’s and 87 4.0. If it is a few relay connectors in a line, then this should be easy enough then. I’m just literally going on blind here. Never done anything like this before.

How about a pic so we call see the mess you are talking about?

14 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

How about a pic so we call see the mess you are talking about?

This is the only pic I have at the moment. I found out that all I need to do is order 4 relay connectors. It was a lot easier then I thought.

IMG_2944.jpg

14 hours ago, Wounded_Fighter said:

Interested in what you use on this. Need to rebuild mine too

It was pretty simple actually. It's just four five-pin relay connectors that are wired in to the harness. I just ordered them on Rock Auto and will be installing them when they arrive on Wednesday. 

On 5/29/2019 at 9:07 PM, CptVanGuard said:

, I noticed that it was making a squishy noise. Once I pulled it out, there was a nasty, swampy, fungal mess growing on the underside of my relay

You made is sound like you had a forest growing in there. 

Those relays prompted this write-up years ago:

CONNECTOR AND RELAY/RECEPTACLE REFRESHING

10-pin connector

I suggest unplugging EVERY electrical connection in the engine bay you can find, whether engine related or not, and spraying it out with a good electronics cleaner, visually inspecting the terminals making sure they haven’t retracted into the plastic holder, and then plugging it back together.

There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Don’t miss that one. Also be sure that the connectors to the ballast resistor mounted near the air cleaner housing are clean and tight.

ALL of the relays should be removed, the terminals wire-brushed until shiny, and the receptacles sprayed out with contact cleaner. Then plug them back in. I do this on every Renix Jeep I purchase or work on for someone else.Ballast Resistor

You made is sound like you had a forest growing in there. 

It’s electrical. Anything growing is bad. And I would say it’s more a swamp than a forest. It was weird feeling

615sexJNW8L._SL1499_.jpg

Grab a couple cans and clean that out. Use an old toothbrush if need be. 

It’s already beyond that sadly. A fair amount of corrosion has worked its way in as well. I’ve already got the new relays and connectors ordered. I’m just going to use a fair amount of dielectric grease this time.