Lift options to retain metric ton capacity

Hello all, I recently picked up my second MJ (1989 Long bed, 4x4, 4.0 auto) and it has the metric ton package.  I want to lift it 4.5" (planning on running 33's) but don't want to lose the payload capabilities.  I read the leaf spring thread and many people are saying the MT leaf springs were giving them 3 inches of lift.  I am assuming those were short beds with the beefier springs but unsure.  Any suggestions or advice?  

4.5" ideally.  Any payload implications with SOA?  I haven't really looked into that option....
Unfortunately SOA would net more lift closer to 6.5-7.5ish depending on how stiff the pack is. 4.5" is a difficult one. Ive been looking at doing the same. Too tall to do shackles and SOA will net you more unless using reg leafs that are halfway blown out lol. It seems as though for the MT pack its either the Chevy drop springs with net about an inch or SOA. Blocks don't work with SUA either (which I never recommend blocks..). I've been looking for a true 4 link front long arm such as rustys comp kit but don't want to go too high. I'd like to stay about the 6" mark but not sure how exactly it'll play out yet. Hope any of that helps

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, YeahJeep said:

Hello all, I recently picked up my second MJ (1989 Long bed, 4x4, 4.0 auto) and it has the metric ton package.  I want to lift it 4.5" (planning on running 33's) but don't want to lose the payload capabilities.  I read the leaf spring thread and many people are saying the MT leaf springs were giving them 3 inches of lift.  I am assuming those were short beds with the beefier springs but unsure.  Any suggestions or advice?  

Very simple question here-

What are you doing with it that demands precisely 2200lbs payload?

I seem to recall I've read on another thread here awhile ago that someone was able to get General Spring to custom build them a set of MT packs with an official 3" of lift. Worth a call I'd say. I highly doubt they have enough volume to have Comanche MT sets made up and sitting on a shelf and likely just make them "to order", so adding some arch may not be a big deal or more money. 

That said, the Hell Creek 3" & 4.5" lift springs are rated at 1440lb capacity with a 4+1 leaf setup, whereas the MT packs are rated at 1700lbs with a 3+2 spring pack. The load capacity on standard MJ replacement spring packs (no lift) from General Spring is rated at 1280lbs. Maybe the Hell Creek 4.5" packs are a compromise for you unless you routinely haul or tow heavy loads and need the full capacity MT packs offer.

Link to 9yr old thread of similar discussion........ 

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/gsc-571.htm

• Military Wrap Front Eye
  • Spring Capacity = 1700
  • Width = 2-1/2
  • # Leaves = 5(3/2)
  • Measures (A/B) = 26 x 31
  • Pack Thickness (D) = 2-1/8
  • 1/2" extra arch
  • Rebound Style Clips with Clip Bolt
  • Includes Bushings
  • Sold Per Side - Order Quantity 2 For a Pair
  • Made in USA

This is the difference and it's noticeable. I've had both, the standard spring new and then the MW spring new.  

Only the MW spring is made in the US. 

A one inch shackle will net you 4.5 inches. 

• 1 month later...

Good question on what I'd need the 2200 lbs payload capacity... probably nothing practical.   I've hauled some heavy stuff in the past... motorcycles and $#!&loads of gear to, 1000 sq feed of sod for my yard, lumber, etc.  Part of me also just wants to have more capacity than dudes with newer full sized pickups.