Which clutch?

I believe the NV3550 I purchased is fine as the issues with it were related to the clutch not disengaging.

With that said, which clutch should I purchase?  Basically limited to what Rockauto sells.  Clutches are the same for an external slave AX-15 and a NV3550.

Normally I just buy a Luk HD unit. Not sure I'm happy with their quality anymore. I actually have a regular Luk sitting on the shelf too, but really not that into running it...

M-Pact offers a steel-backed high performance one they list as being for "off road" applications, plus other things. They also sell a couple other higher end ones, including a ceramic option. Would any of those be a decent idea?

AMS also offers two, one is a hybrid organic kevlar (whateverthe@#$% that means) and the other is a kevlar.

Sachs has a ceramic as well. Generally I believe Sachs/ZF to be good quality... They don't carry the Sachs mid range (kevlar) clutch though, just the ceramic ones. Sachs says the ceramic one is grabby.

Also open to ideas on a flywheel. I think I have a Luk one, but probably just going to order one because I don't want to gamble on that and I pay 2-3X more locally VS Rockauto.

15 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

M-Pact offers a steel-backed high performance one they list as being for "off road" applications, plus other things. They also sell a couple other higher end ones, including a ceramic option. Would any of those be a decent idea?

:confused: How the hell would a clutch know if it was "offroad"?  :laugh:

My .02, I"d just go with a Luk.  But I'm not crazy with the clutch pedal....the less I have to press it the better.  No experience with ceramics, but aren't those usually used with high HP/RPM type applications?

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

:confused: How the hell would a clutch know if it was "offroad"?  :laugh:

Offroad you slip the clutch a lot more, versus most other applications where you're either only slipping it a little or you want it to be an on/off switch.  Or I guess that's the theory.

I'm not sure that a ceramic would drive nicely.  But that said, modern ceramic brake pads work delightful.  :confused:

1 hour ago, Limeyjeeper said:

Lux Gold. Have one in my Wrangler and Comanche. Great clutches. Just don't use their bearing if you buy the kit, poor quality.

Are  you referring to the plastic TOB?

Mine has been out a couple of times due to bad trans after the clutch replacement. I've had a new National brand cast steel here, the plastic LUK went back in, nothing at all wrong with the TOB. 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Jeep Driver said:

Are  you referring to the plastic TOB?

Mine has been out a couple of times due to bad trans after the clutch replacement. I've had a new National brand cast steel here, the plastic LUK went back in, nothing at all wrong with the TOB. 

I agree.  The "YOU MUST REPLACE IT" non sense is over hyped.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, Jeep Driver said:

Or it could be that 99% of Jeep drivers don't know how to drive a stick. 

Dead serious about that. 

I have no idea how it is that people burn up clutches. 

Maybe, but not helpful to my thread.

Nobody here has used anything but a Luk.  Therefore we have no useful data.