MJ Buckets Type and Cover Fitment

Please take me to school on MJ bucket seats - I'd like to understand the different styles offered for MJs.

I am currently preparing to restore my 92, and am changing the interior color to AMC black.  I recently aquired from another member the covers from these bucket seats:

20190211_180138.jpg.db05bb4b136b9c59fd7df7fe07a4d384.jpg

I need to know what style this seat is.  I recently picked up a 91 Eliminator with these seats:

20190424_202312.jpg

I'd also like to know if the black seat covers I have will fit on the bucket seats from the Eliminator.  Is the underlying seat the same?  Because they look different.  Thanks.

The black covers are, I think, "mesa" fabric. They're what I call the "basic" bucket seats. They do not have the extra side bolsters. That won't be a problem, because the bolsters just screw on.

The grey seats are "Luggage" fabric, and are the "wingback" bucket seats. They use exactly the same underlying frame as the basic buckets, but with a different foam pattern and added bolsters.

TL;DR, they will fit if you use the foam from the black seats (or any basic bucket seats) and remove the bolsters. 4dr parts will work if you clearance them for the flip lever. Parts can be swapped side-for-side with no issue. I did the opposite of what you're going to do to make my "eliminator" seats. You're pretty much going to be swapping all of your black seat's parts onto the Eliminator frame.

On the left is a basic, flip-forward bucket seat. On the right is a wingback 4dr XJ seat. As far as you're concerned, they're the same.

3yhc1hWl.jpg

Stripped vs. fully assembled flip-forward seats:

nTzF24al.jpg

This is the flip-forward seat with the bolsters added, and the 4dr XJ covers and foam.

EXL7uR3l.jpg

While you're at it, grab an extra passenger side bottom cushion to put on the driver's seat. The foam will be in much better shape. A cushion from any style of 84-94 seat will work.

You might know that already, but I thought it was worth putting out there.

31 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

I think I know the answer from reading thru here but...I have some ripped flip forwards, can I find a clean set of 4 door covers and swap them on to the 2 door frames/foam? Just cut the flip arm slit? 

Screenshot_20190501-203627_Gallery.jpg

Yep. You'll also need to make holes for the latch on both the seatback and the bottom cushion.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:29 AM, krustyballer16 said:

So nothing major. Cool. Now to find some clean grey covers

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Krusty,

I have a pretty good set of grey covers without the bolsters that I'm swapping so I can have bolsters.  PM me if you would like pictures and details?

1 hour ago, damianriel said:

I'm in a similar situation, but have no access locally to any matching pre-94 buckets. Does anyone know if the 96+ seats with adjustable headrests will accommodate the older seat covers?

I've got a 95 XJ parts vehicle here.  The seats are nowhere close to the same.  I'd say definitelt not.

3 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I've got a 95 XJ parts vehicle here.  The seats are nowhere close to the same.  I'd say definitelt not.

Correct. The seat design is entirely different. The pre-95 seats are an old Renault design. The later seats are a Chrysler design.