Fuel Pump Issues

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, SoCalManche said:

I got a new pump orginally, which by the way isn't properly spec'd out for these trucks. But regardless, I took the original pump out, tested it at the battery, and it immediately started. Whenever I connect the jumper wire in the fuel pump relay, it immediate comes on. And it is definitely pushing fuel, because one of my fuel line retainer clips broke, and the new ones you buy need o-rings. I didn't know that, and so as soon as the jumper wire engaged between 30 and 87, fuel started coming out of the fuel lines at the connectors underneath the intake.

I'm usually very good at reading exactly what someone states.

Here you state that fuel is running out underneath the intake. 

You realize that the TBI requires pressure to function, correct? If you are not building pressure the injector will not squirt. 

That said, I'm well aware of the pump needing modification, I did mine, but you still have either an electrical problem that needs to be resolved or a bad pump.......something is causing the relay to stammer. 

6 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I'm usually very good at reading exactly what someone states.

Here you state that fuel is running out underneath the intake. 

You realize that the TBI requires pressure to function, correct? If you are not building pressure the injector will not squirt. 

That said, I'm well aware of the pump needing modification, I did mine, but you still have either an electrical problem that needs to be resolved or a bad pump.......something is causing the relay to stammer. 

Yes. When I replaced the fuel line retainer clips, fuel would leak out when pump started. To remedy this, I bought fuel line o-rings, put one up there, and the leak subsided. So with the question of the pump working or needing a new one, I saw it working in action, while also hearing it turn on with the jumper. But to reiterate, there is no fuel leak any longer, nor has there been for a bit now. 

39 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

2.5 TBI only needs 14-17psi

Maybe it time for a Fuel Pressure Gauge. At least we would know there's pressure or not. Also check the spark plugs again for wet fouling.

You claim the fuel relay chatters/stammers between open and close.........is this correct?

Put everything back together, just the way it is supposed to be. 

Unplug the fuel pump at the fuel pump. 

Does the relay still chatter? If it does, you have a wiring problem. 

If it does not, reconnect the pump, does it chatter now? If it does, you have a bad pump. 

When you 'bench test' a pump you are cramming magic pixies down it's throat, that does not mean it is good in it's intended state/environment. 

17 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

You claim the fuel relay chatters/stammers between open and close.........is this correct?

If it does not, reconnect the pump, does it chatter now? If it does, you have a bad pump. 

When you 'bench test' a pump you are cramming magic pixies down it's throat, that does not mean it is good in it's intended state/environment. 

Noted. I will test this tomorrow as well as a fuel pressure test.

On a different note, I have a question. I can smell and hear fuel flowing to the TBI (when connected to fused jumper wire), but do not necessarily see it. Am I supposed to be able to see it? 

27 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Maybe it time for a Fuel Pressure Gauge. At least we would know there's pressure or not. Also check the spark plugs again for wet fouling.

I agree, fuel pressure in the lines (leaking), not getting to the injectors, blockage? Pressure regulator?:dunno: 

10 minutes ago, SoCalManche said:

Noted. I will test this tomorrow as well as a fuel pressure test.

On a different note, I have a question. I can smell and hear fuel flowing to the TBI (when connected to fused jumper wire), but do not necessarily see it. Am I supposed to be able to see it? 

That injector will piss all over the place when it functions, you will know it when you see it. 

If you are by yourself, you can leave the ignition on, using a test lead/jumper to the starter........looking down the throat of the TBI you will see if the injector is squirting while the engine turns over. 

6 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

That injector will piss all over the place when it functions, you will know it when you see it. 

If you are by yourself, you can leave the ignition on, using a test lead/jumper to the starter........looking down the throat of the TBI you will see if the injector is squirting while the engine turns over.

Hmm...I don't recall if I had the ignition ON when I looked down the TBI with jumper attached to relay. But if you say I would know when I saw it, I did not see much even though I could hear and smell it. That's concerning.

Let's go back to this terminology thing. 

The engine is "turning over" when you turn the key. That's it. It's not running. It's not firing. It's not coughing. It's not doing anything other than rotating under power of the starter. All that's happening is the starter is turning the engine.

To see fuel while the engine is turning over you have to either have someone sitting there on the key holding it in the start position, or else some other setup that allows you to replicate that action from under the hood. 

The injector will not spray just because the fuel pump is running. It needs the signal from the ecu telling it to spray, which only happens while the engine is turning.

13 hours ago, SoCalManche said:

Yes, if fuel is put in the throttle body.

Having fuel in the throttle body has nothing to do with whether or not the engine turns over. Did you not read the previous posts? This has been explained to you at least twice in this thread. "Turn over" is the same as "crank." It just means that the starter motor is engaged and is making the engine spin. "Turn over" does NOT mean that the engine has started and is running -- even for a couple of seconds.

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

Having fuel in the throttle body has nothing to do with whether or not the engine turns over. Did you not read the previous posts? This has been explained to you at least twice in this thread. "Turn over" is the same as "crank." It just means that the starter motor is engaged and is making the engine spin. "Turn over" does NOT mean that the engine has started and is running -- even for a couple of seconds.

I don't know what you want me to tell you, man. I replied to his specific question. I held the key at START, and the only time the engine will actually FIRE is when there is fuel in the throttle body. You can hear the starter engaging in full force before it FIRES and then dies off in a couple seconds. If no fuel is added, or the jumper wire is in the relay terminal even though it turns on the fuel pump, the starter will continue to "turn over" without firing. I apologize for semantics getting in the way of a solution.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:37 PM, Ωhm said:

On 4/22/2019 at 4:45 PM, Jeep Driver said:

So a new development has occurred.

Since leaving the truck overnight once again, I came back to recreate the constant clicking from the original relay I had for the fuel pump. I was unable to recreate the constant clicking. Whether using a new relay or the old, original one, I could not get the relay to click constantly, with or without the fuel pump connected. I have no idea what this means. I also tested all the fusible links downwind one by one and they all had 12.4-5 volts of juice flowing through. Now engine will not fire at all, just constantly turn over. 

Jumper wire still starts the fuel pump continually while the relays will not.

Will be checking fuel pressure later when returning to the 'manche. As far as wet fouling is concerned, I think these look bad, but a fellow associate of mine said they look fine. I disagree? 

(Did not take out #1 due to the hassle it would take to get to it)

IMG_20190423_184854.jpg

IMG_20190423_185001.jpg

IMG_20190423_185233.jpg