Wait a couple of years, maybe the dummies are listening?

Jeep Driver

Me too.

I think they should make this one too.

If they were to make it do you think they would call it something different, or would it still be the Gladiator?

Personally, I think they should make it and call it a Comanche.

It'll never happen. It's too close to what Jeep people want, and FiatChrysler (or whatever they call themselves these days) aren't interested in selling Jeeps to Jeep people. They want to sell expensive toys to the yuppies.

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

It'll never happen. It's too close to what Jeep people want, and FiatChrysler (or whatever they call themselves these days) aren't interested in selling Jeeps to Jeep people. They want to sell expensive toys to the yuppies.

Sad but true...

No true Jeep guy who will beat on and build their own Jeep would want to spend $50,000+ on a Rubicon or $30,000+ on a sport.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came as a kit similar to the jk8, but I don't really expect it to happen as a production vehicle. Something like 80% of the midsized truck market is crewcabs with 5' beds (because people are dumb) and while the Gladiator is going to sell in decent numbers, I don't know if it's going to hit a level where it'll be worth producing the 15% or whatever of sales these might make up. Although that said Jeep buyers aren't the typical midsized truck buyers, and an off-road pickup doesn't need to be the minivan most trucks have unfortunately become. So you never know. 

And if it's just a "JL8" then it likely won't come with the payload and towing the JT does.

But that doesn't mean that it's not cool and I don't want one. I'll be at the dealer ordering one whenever the standard cab long bed comes out. 

In the video they made reference to a 7,000 pound tongue weight, which was obviously an error. Even if they meant tow weight, I don't think a regular Wrangler chassis could be rated that high.

To be honest, even though I like the 2-door much better than I like the "Gladiator," I wouldn't buy one. If I were to buy a new (or nearly-new) pickup, I would want an extended cab. The only reason I bought an XJ in 1988 rather than an MJ was that the MJ didn't have an extended cab. I needed a daily driver, and I wanted some space behind the driver's seat for things like a briefcase or a suitcase large enough for a long weekend. The standard cab just didn't (and doesn't) cut it.

A kit based offering would suck because you’re stuck with an unlimited frame instead of a shortened gladiator frame.

I would want the heavier frame and the max towing axles 

He did say towing weight but started saying tongue and changed it to towing midstream.

I can get a duffel bag of basic tools and recovery gear, floor jack, and a couple socket sets behind the seats in my MJ, and I'm 6'2 with the driver's seat all the way back. But even with the bench in my little MJ I can still get quite a bit of stuff back there. I've been on 6000-mile road trips with another person as well, and interior space was never a problem. It's not spacious, no, but there's still more than enough room. I imagine this cab would be more spacious as well.

That said, if it went onto the Gladiator frame, you could get a longer bed and more cab space on it for sure. From a production standpoint, it likely wouldn't make sense to have a third (fourth?) frame in between the JLU and JT so that might be why they don't want to split the difference.

I don't know what all the difference is between JLU and JT frames. The heavier rear axle could potentially get stuffed under it with the beefier suspension, if the frame is up to the task.

That's a good point... Although an extension of the JLU frame could be integrated into a jk8-style kit. Although they still need to come up with the longer beds somehow. I'd be curious to see what the j6 looks like underneath. (Anyone going to EJS?)

The more you look at it the clearer it is that the j6 isn't even close to producible as-is, even in kit form. I guess that should've been obvious though from the fact they needed to chop up three JT beds just to extend it by a foot.

As you probably know, the Launch edition sold out in one day. 

They will produce the 2-door, no doubt, 2022 limited edition, it will also sell out in one day. 

By 2025 you'll see those in full production. 

There are people, lots of people, with lots of money, they will spend it, Jeep will take it.