AMC 20 rear from FSJ Wagoneer

Okay so I traveled a couple hrs for what I THOUGHT was an AMC20 w/ 4:10 gears from an XJ.  Turned out axel has 6 studs, was actually from a FSJ Grand Wagoneer.  Since I made the trip and I got the axel dirt cheap I decided to keep it.

My question: is it worth it or even possible to make this rear axel work on an MJ?  What would be involved and easiest way to accomplish?  Or am I better off selling and finding a MJ or XJ specific axel.

Thanks in advance!

20190311_161938.jpg

20190311_161941.jpg

received_1132466596925043.jpeg

It's not worth it.  Wrong width, wrong bolt pattern, thick adapters aren't cheap and cause other problems, the axle itself is obsolete and parts are more expensive and less available, and it's got drum brakes.

I'd look at more modern axles.  The Libby 8.25 seems like a deal.

AMC 20 parts are far from obsolete. There is a ton of support for them (CJs,FSJs,AMC cars,etc). The ring gear is just a hair shy of 9" (8 7/8 IIRC) and overall they were not bad axles despite having a bad rep by people who abused them beyond their design. They DO have a tendency to bend tubes under hardcore abuse which can be remedied with either a truss, by sleeving, or both. Unless you are running at King of the Hammers it would probably be fine and will handle the power of a stock v8. Also being from a FSJ it SHOULD have 11x2 drum brakes. I ran my 67 FSJ for over a decade on 35s with 11x2 drum brakes both front and rear. If adjusted correctly a drum brake is a good setup that works well. Sure, discs stop better generally, but if drum brakes can stop a semi truck I am sure proportionally they'll stop your truck. The AMC 20 and Spicer 53 are the two most bashed FSJ axles by people. The internet is your friend. The parts and upgrades are out there. If it is a LSD version even better. If it was cheap enough and it were me, I would get the spacer/adapters, sleeve it, and enjoy having a cheap full size jeep axle under my MJ. If you don't want it and are in the northeast I will happily take that off your hands