Failed Smog!

Hey everyone, finally got the 4 cylinder running. Installed new cat, muffler. Unfortunately did not pass smog. In fact The tester could not give me a report but told me that it’s polluting because it’s too overly rich. Could not get an accurate reading . I agree that it is rich. But where do I start ? In the resurrecting effort I replaced the following-

O2

MAP

Temp

Vacuum pipes

Fuel pump and assembly

ICM

CPS

I don’t want to drive it to spare the Cat.

Can it be the EGR that is causing this ?

Or the Fuel pressure regulator?

Manifold ?

Carbon build up in the combustion chamber

I spent a lot of $ and time already

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know what temperature it's running at? If it's not getting up to operating temp it may not be going into closed loop.

Ignition components in poor shape (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) may also be causing incomplete combustion which could appear to be running rich. 

3 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Do you know what temperature it's running at? If it's not getting up to operating temp it may not be going into closed loop.

Ignition components in poor shape (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) may also be causing incomplete combustion which could appear to be running rich. 

What gogmorgo said, give it a good ole tune up and drive it around more than just a block and push it a little to get everything up to operating temp. Then go get it tested after your warm up drive

I was also pointing towards an incorrectly rated or failed open thermostat could be causing warm-up problems. The smog tech should be intelligent enough to know about warmup times, even on older vehicles.

But don't start pulling and swapping parts blindly unless you know something has a problem. Replacing good quality functioning OEM parts with aftermarket of unknown quality or suitability for use, and pulling things apart for no reason could cause you more problems. Then since you've touched everything and changed everything you don't know where to look.