Just had a random bed swap thought

Maybe it would look horrible, but I just had a random thought about what a MJ would look like with an old Willys pickup bed and I am not sure if the thought intrigues me or repulses me. Has anyone actually attempted this in the past? Don't get me wrong, these trucks are perfect how they are but I have always liked the thiftside look on the old willys and early J-trucks. I think a stepside MJ would be pretty cool if done right and definitely would be different. My bed is pretty rusty so it got my gears turning. Just curious as to if it has ever been done or if anyone has ever put some sort of stepside bed on one of these that actually looked correct.

I think I've seen a couple attempts at it here. I remember a 90's ranger stepside bed... Didn't seem to quite flow properly but it wasn't awful. I'll see if I can pull it up. I also seem to remember someone who simply removed his rusted-out outer bed skins and built his own square outer skins, that didn't look too bad. 

Edit: found the ranger. 6-24002.jpg

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/bewild2/library/Comanranger?sort=3&page=1

I unfortunately haven't been able to pull up a thread on how exactly it was done, whether it was drop in or not. Seems old links from before the 2012(?) update are no longer functional. 

Edit 2: I think I found the bed with the outer skins cut off. 

img_0096.jpg

More photos and maybe info here:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/23580

I found it in this thread that maybe has some other ideas for you:

And this thread has some better pics of what the inner bed looks like with the outer skin cut off:

• 5 weeks later...

It has been said that "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Good improv use of materials at hand. "Adapt, improvise, overcome." Ooh rah.

I'd be very interested in seeing a couple of closer/better photos.

23 hours ago, Ihellagooddriver said:

Here’s my 1988 turboed 4.0 5 speed “parts truck” got it bedless couldn’t find a decent local swb bed and didn’t want to bob a long bed and had an old sears-Roebuck trailer sitting around... and...

6C561300-FF0F-4757-A9D8-5509C7633CB6.jpeg

NAILED IT!