Need a new WJ engine, looking for best route

Smokeyyank

So I picked up a WJ cheap. 04 Columbia with the 4.7HO. Super clean low miles, but needs a new engine. The guy I've worked with in the past for rebuilds I can't get a hold of. Haven't had a lot of luck finding any local rebuilders that I feel good about or aren't charging a fortune. I've looked at a few long block places online but it really seems to be  a mess in regards to reviews. Most of the time it seems the issue is in regards to warranties or dumb asses installing something wrong and blaming the builder. Just wondering about some opinions on what to do? So far the places I've narrowed it down to for a long block are.....

XP $2495 and I have to ship my engine to them as they don't have long blocks ready. Below is the 2.7 285 that they do

https://spprecision.com/products/47-285-long-block-crate-engine-sale.html

S&J roughly $3000

https://www.sandjengines.com/search/rebuilt-auto-engines/2004-Jeep-Grand_Cherokee--

Any input is appreciated. 

Overheating and valve seat issues. Due to to cast iron block with aluminum heads if they overheat they are basically toast. Heads have a problem with dropping seats. Really the only issues but with used it's a complete crap shoot.

I owned a WJ with the 4.7 engine.

Worst car-buying mistake I ever made. I think I only owned it about nine months -- Daimler-Chrysler bought it back to keep me from invoking the lemon law on them.

After I got rid of mine, a friend mentioned that he was looking at buying one -- used. I recommended against it. He bought it. He hadn't had it very long before the engine blew.

13 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I owned a WJ with the 4.7 engine.

Worst car-buying mistake I ever made. I think I only owned it about nine months -- Daimler-Chrysler bought it back to keep me from invoking the lemon law on them.

After I got rid of mine, a friend mentioned that he was looking at buying one -- used. I recommended against it. He bought it. He hadn't had it very long before the engine blew.

I think they get a bad rap for the most part because people don't maintain them properly. Not saying they are perfect but they are finicky engines that don't like heat. Also a lot of the defects have been addressed now for the valves and oiling issues. I specifically wanted a used one needing an engine. Even after me rebuilding the engine and fixing basic maintenance items I'll still be ahead for  any "quality" used car and I'll have a fresh engine along with a lot of other new items. As much as I love a 4.0 they are turds in a WJ. I'm driving my dads right now and it has no power. Also has the 42re which i think is junk. I debated on getting a 4.0 stroking it and putting a shift kit but then it became the issue of having to regear to push 32ish tires. Thought about a another XJ but family has outgrown that for the time. I could barely fit me, the wife, dogs and gear and with the kid now having something a little bit bigger is nice. 

Yank, check out:  https://www.powertrainproducts.net/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Engines-s/449.htm

http://knowledgebase.powertrainproducts.net/about-dodge-3-7-4-7-5-7-engines/

These guys seem to know the in's and out's of 3.7/4.7/5.7 engines and their failure points quite well.

I have them bookmarked for if/when my 3.7 craps the bed.  Knock on wood, I'm only at 130K, and I am religious about coolant and oil maintenance, but you just never know.....

Oh I've looked at swap after swap; diesel, LS, 4.0. Unfortunately nothing that really makes a lot of sense other than swapping back in a stocker.  I would really like to do a diesel swap but not in the cards right now. 

As for powertrain, I did consider them. They don't have the best reviews and they also jacked their price up, at least with the 4.7. Of all the bigger rebuilders S&J had some of the better reviews. I can't even count how many places I researched and spoke to. 

I went this morning and talked to a local shop and will probably go with them. Took some digging to find them but they do all their own machine work in house. The owner is the one that rebuilds everything and they have a few guys to install and do most the other basic items. They took me in back showed me around talked shop for a bit and have a killer price. Also asked them about addressing some of the issue, valve seats, oiling issues and guy knew exactly what I was talking about and what they do to help fix those. 

Hoping to offload the wifes KJ before it $#!&s the bed. It's at 175k now and she got it from her parents her dad took it the stealership religiously and I've kept on it ever since. All in all been a decent car only left us stranded once because of some fruity ignition issue, eats brakes like a mother but I'm guessing 75% of that is how my wife drives.......... 

Can't beat staying local if you can.

I will say my brother had a 4.7 in a Dakota, with a 5 speed, and that thing screamed.  I had it up to 105 on a lonely stretch of highway one night, spinning about 2500 rpm in 4th gear....still had a gear to go and I backed off it.  The only problem that truck ever had was really hard starting/extended crank time later on in its life.  He isn't local to me so I couldn't get the chance to diagnose/fix it, but I'm betting it was just a crank or cam sensor that needed replacing.  He ended up trading it eventually.

My KJ is an 02, with the 45RFE trans.  It's boring as all hell, but the only engine issues I've ever had with it was a couple bad coil packs and a leaking radiator (OEM, and it lasted 16 years....it didn't owe me anything).  I need to drop the tranny pan and change the filters, that will probably be my weekend project.  I had the dealership flush the trans @ 60k, I'm about 10k past the 120k service interval on it now:shhh:

Exactly, always happy to support a local shop.

The 4.7s actually move decently quick. I remember when I was a lot tech at a jeep dealer we would always take the overlands out and run the piss out of them. Pretty sure not how your supposed to break them in. I'll also probably do the 08+ intake swap, bored TB, full exhaust and a tune. Should be more than enough to get around in. 

The bottom ends are normally pretty solid. If it was just heads I would put improved heads on and roll new bearing in the bottom end and be done with it. My ex-wife has my 04 WJ and it has 180K on it. It still runs like a top. She does stay on top of the maintenance and services. Treat that 4.7 right and you will be fine.

2 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

The bottom ends are normally pretty solid. If it was just heads I would put improved heads on and roll new bearing in the bottom end and be done with it. My ex-wife has my 04 WJ and it has 180K on it. It still runs like a top. She does stay on top of the maintenance and services. Treat that 4.7 right and you will be fine.

What can be done with the heads (outside a basic port and polish)? I've only been able to find reinforced seats as being really the only upgrade.