Trouble putting into gear.

Strange thing happening to me.. It doesn't happen the all the time just every so often. I'll pull up to a red light, stop, put it in neutral and then I have a hard time getting it back into first. I'll pump the clutch a few times then eventually it will go into gear.. Shifts fine when the vehicle is turned off though. Had my clutch master cylinder, clutch kit and slave cylinder replaced about a year ago. Just started happening recently though. Any ideas?

I’ve had issues with the pilot bearing in the crankshaft being dry and sticking/grabbing the trans input shaft. Low oil in the trans can cause a similar lack of synchronization of the gear sliders. So can too thick of trans oil if it’s really cold until the trans warmed up. 

I had the pilot bearing seize to the input shaft in my first ‘87 (Sarge) while waiting for a red light. It nearly launched me into the car in front of me. I drove it for several weeks synchro shifting and starting in gear to get going as I had to work. That’s when I got started converting it to auto and 4x4. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, robbie95 said:

Strange thing happening to me.. It doesn't happen the all the time just every so often. I'll pull up to a red light, stop, put it in neutral and then I have a hard time getting it back into first. I'll pump the clutch a few times then eventually it will go into gear.. Shifts fine when the vehicle is turned off though. Had my clutch master cylinder, clutch kit and slave cylinder replaced about a year ago. Just started happening recently though. Any ideas?

Robbie95 - Any update to this? Happened to me today.

If you see no leaks, make sure fluid is full and fresh.

Pump the clutch pedal 50 times and then walk away. That will get any trapped air out of the system. 

You guys ever change brake fluid?

Bare minimum, once a year suck the fluid out of the reservoir with a clean turkey baster. Refill with fresh fluid.

Brakes and clutch.

Full bleed on brakes is best, but this is better than nothing. 

Also take a gander at the top of the pedal where the clutch master attaches. Torn weld? 

Thanks. I will take a look this weekend. I am letting PB Blaster try to work it's magic on the clutch bleeder screw that has never been loosened.

No leaks, looked at that yesterday.

Clutch pedal broke in 1992, had it welded then. I'll take another look.

Replaced brakes fluid about three years ago when I replaced calipers, wheel cylinders, and rubber lines.

I'm having issues getting into 1st and 2nd while at a stop. I will shift through the gears to finally get it into 1st - with force.  There is no grinding or sounds while getting into gear.

I have a clutch master/slave combo kit.  There is no bleed screw at the slave cyl.  I found this youtube video on bleeding a hydro clutch that does not have a bleed screw.  

I did not remove the whole system to try some of the steps.  I just unbolted the slave cyl and tried pumping it from below.  No one was with me, so I could not see if bubbles came out.  It did shift easier (for a while).

I'm thinkin' of swapping out to a bleedable system.