Sparkplug question

So, recently did a tune up, swapped the stock style Renix plugs for those meant for the later HO (seeing as I have a 97 TJ motor currently).

This rose the question of the differences between projection plugs (TJ motor) and non projection plugs (Renix) and then the additional issue of heat range (RC9 vs RC12).

The old plugs looked OK, even color and no fouling after a year.

But the new plugs seem to run a bit better (possibly more to do with the new cap/rotor/wire?).

So I am asking for the advice of those more in the know on this one.

1988 MJ

1997 4.0L

Ax15

Renix MPFI

00 intake and TB

94 exhaust

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I’m running NGK BKR6EK (2288) plugs in my Renix 2.5 and 4.0, both with a functioning knock sensor and the initial plus acceleration engine timing (when warmed up so the sensor was adjusting time) was advanced more and running with a gutted cat ran lower HCs and NOx numbers than brand new Autolites. Same tank of gas, there was a “seat of the pants” power difference too. 

On 1/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, carnuck said:

I’m running NGK BKR6EK (2288) plugs in my Renix 2.5 and 4.0, both with a functioning knock sensor and the initial plus acceleration engine timing (when warmed up so the sensor was adjusting time) was advanced more and running with a gutted cat ran lower HCs and NOx numbers than brand new Autolites. Same tank of gas, there was a “seat of the pants” power difference too. 

Thanks I'm just getting started getting this thing back to a dependable daily driver,  I've just about got the suspension ironed out and a new tank/pump/sending unit in place and working like it should. Just getting started on all the electrical gremlins that seem to have been made worse by the previous owners.  

On 1/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Pete M said:

have you run through Cruiser's renix tips yet?  should be one of the top threads in the link in my signature. :L: 

That's what I'm working on now grounds and suspension are my main focus at the moment. The PO was trying to make it into a rock crawler, and I'm trying to undo all that.