2.5l power steering

Swampy

Hey guys looking for some 2.5l or (if I can retrofit some renix 4.0l) power steering equipment. I am looking for everything preferably, but will consider just the pump, hoses, and fluid reservoir.

If anyone has one, or has leads about one, please contact me 

1 hour ago, Swampy said:

Hey guys looking for some 2.5l or (if I can retrofit some renix 4.0l) power steering equipment. I am looking for everything preferably, but will consider just the pump, hoses, and fluid reservoir.

If anyone has one, or has leads about one, please contact me 

I have a renix 4.0L pump, reservoir and hoses I pulled off my 88. 

11 hours ago, Swampy said:

renix tbi 2.5. Walt told me I could fit a 4.0l pump

I'm unsure of that but I think about anything is adaptable if your up to the task. My ? For which setup up was more for pulley style. There were several 86 belt routing setups with at least 2 pulley styles. I have both and 1 seems much harder to find the pulley. I also believe the pumps are the same but again with slightly different clocking orientations. The pumps are rebuildable and you can get them at the box stores but you need the right 1. I think I have come across them swapped with wrong pumps since they are sitting at about the 3-4 o-clock position leaning to far to the right.

13 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I'm unsure of that but I think about anything is adaptable if your up to the task. My ? For which setup up was more for pulley style. There were several 86 belt routing setups with at least 2 pulley styles. I have both and 1 seems much harder to find the pulley. I also believe the pumps are the same but again with slightly different clocking orientations. The pumps are rebuildable and you can get them at the box stores but you need the right 1. I think I have come across them swapped with wrong pumps since they are sitting at about the 3-4 o-clock position leaning to far to the right.

With my jeep being away from me at the moment. This is the best picture I got to show the belt routing I know its not great. I will try to draw it and get it uploaded tomorrow

bBeDnzP.jpg

When I put that style on my ‘87 4 cyl, I had to space it all forward about 3/8” (10mm) for the serpentine pulleys to line up and the reservoir to clear the exhaust. 

It originally had the one with a remote reservoir but it came loose on the previous owner and destroyed the serpentine pulley. 

Edited by carnuck
Clarification

6 hours ago, carnuck said:

When I put that style on my ‘87 4 cyl, I had to space it all forward about 3/8” (10mm) for the serpentine pulleys to line up and the reservoir to clear the exhaust. 

It originally had the one with a remote reservoir but it came loose on the previous owner and destroyed the serpentine pulley. 

I can deal with the spacing out part, if it worked was my main concern

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brand new Chryco pump for 2.5 from my 87 serpentine belt setup.  Still have the box.  Was installed once, and removed.  Had a power steering issue that turned out not to be the pump.  Can send pics if interested.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Submariner said:

Did you find what you are looking for?  I just bought a 86MJ with a 2.5 that I am going to salvage

Assuming you have the serpentine belt. 

He can use any pump, self contained reservoir or remote, does not matter, on up through 2004 WJ. 

What is crucial to the Renix era 2.5 is the pulley, it is different from the 4.0. 

Whether Swampy takes it or not..........make sure that pulley gets to someone who needs it. Hard to find. 

I still have a great dislike for the Vee belt system. Especially when the alternator bracket doesn’t have the AC brace from above. So many of those broke over the years and I had at least one fall forward and eat the radiator with no warning. 

10 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Assuming you have the serpentine belt. 

He can use any pump, self contained reservoir or remote, does not matter, on up through 2004 WJ. 

What is crucial to the Renix era 2.5 is the pulley, it is different from the 4.0. 

Whether Swampy takes it or not..........make sure that pulley gets to someone who needs it. Hard to find. 

I second that I have a stash of them now since my 86 mj is non v. There are several variations and little info on all the different belt/pulley/accessories setups. I pulled 2 reservoirs and brackets this week if you still need 1 pm me.20190215_173640.jpg.7ccc0ab05371cf7b08ff2df7e123f52d.jpg

I also have several different 4.0 pumps/brackets/pulleys if you want to try that route. I haven't messed with 2.5s much and I've been learning as I go as well.

My 86s are different than 87 up since both mine are steel tanks and completely different. I'm guessing yours is too. The reservoir with brackets is for 87 up setup which is what he needs.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, Submariner said:

Did you find what you are looking for?  I just bought a 86MJ with a 2.5 that I am going to salvage