'Big Ton'/'Metric Tonne' Conversion

Just out of curiosity more then actual doing...

What would it require to update a 1988 longbed pioneer mj to the 'big ton'/'metric tonne' package, has to be more then springs right? Just curious, no real need for it (at least i don't think so) unless its a real easy job (which it probably isnt) and i know yall are informed more then i about these things...

sometimes I feel like I'm a new truck owner, new to the truck and the mysteries of the dealership.

*oh how I wish I could walk into a dealership and buy a new mj......one day....i hope* :cry:

well its a 5 speed standard shift (stick for you automatic guys) ba-10? don't really know, if its an asin or not, if it isnt i should post "how to put an ax-15 in a 1988 pioneer mj" or something.

so springs, shocks, etc...running cost and rarity? too much?

sometimes my curiosity runs amok.

*downs another beer* image_209027.gif

If I were to build one, I'd install an AX-15 (stronger than your Peugeot) and the matching T-case (for the spline count), find and rebuild a Dana 44 or just install an 8.8, upgrade the shocks, and I remember reading that there were aftermarket metric tonne leafpacks out there. Don't forget to upgrade the gear ratio too for better-than-factory performance. :D

and see where my curiosity gets me? lol, here iam going next on project list...install rear speakers....install factory cargo light....fix headliner fabric...paint exterior....get new chrome stick mirrors...

now with my curiosity i have an even bigger list...

so that leaves me with, how hard is it to convert over to the nice ax15? find a dana 44? the springs, and all the rest of it....how much would it cost? and how long would it take me to do it? since I'm not mechanically inclined what would it cost for me to buddy up to one of you with beer? :brows:

and the biggest question of all (but the answer never really matters) would i really need it as a dd?

and is there anyone else in texas? or am i the alone lone star mj'er? (as it would be fun to get together with other mj'ers) image_209027.gif

*comancheclub.com where the beers, dreams, and conversations never run out*

well, as far as wanting to swap transmissions and axles and all that goes its easy to swap over once you get all the parts... however being 'not mechanically inclined' puts a damper on that. ;)

JohnQ is in texas somewhere, and his truck is a beauty.

you don't need metric ton for a DD, but you may want to think about the AX15 for the future cause most puke-goats (BA10 transmissions) only last max of 200k, the AX is much more stout. and people don't think highly of the D35 rear either.

and is there anyone else in texas? or am i the alone lone star mj'er? (as it would be fun to get together with other mj'ers) image_209027.gif

There's a few of us here in TX. I live in Magnolia, Duner lives in Houston, 88swampedmj lives up in Garland, and I know there are a couple others on here. Maybe we can all get together and plan a big wheeling trip someday. :D

so how can i tell what i have in it? its all factory i know that (the guy i bought it from was original owner, and although a mechanic, wasn't a guy to upgrade) i think i got the cheaper dana rear the 35? can't tell the diff between 35 vs 44 from an outside visual, although i could allways climb under it if i knew what i was looking for, same with the transmission...and transfer case...

what exactly was put on the olympic pioneer mj?

as for the other texans with mj's :beerhead: YEE HAA!

let me buy all you Texans a shiner, or a lonestar. :cheers:

It would be nice to be tutored on how to fix up my mj, after all this is my first truck, and the only other car i semi-worked on was a 85 audi 4000 s (thank you metric and expensive parts) and i got rid of that because it was falling apart rather rapidly.

id rather fix up my mj and keep it as long as i can (can't say for life cause it could go boom) but i have been addicted to mj's since i drove my dad's 91 xj and wanted a truck version (little did i know at the time that they made one) anyway ill shut up now, been rambling too long...

so yeah need parts, need to be tutored...

*Comancheclub.com where you can ramble on and on, and at least someones listening* :popcorn:

easy to tell what you've got under there.

Round/oval cover it's a D35.

angular diamond shaped cover and it's a 44.

post a picture, someone will tell you in 30 seconds.

as to upgrading to it, I wouldn't bother finding a 44. 8.8's are plenty available and are arguably stronger. Larger tubes, bigger gearset, the only downside is c-clips.

ah d35s then, bummer, as for the rest of it? transmission, transfer case?

(should tell my dad to upgrade his xj to 44's cause even he's got the 35's)

and whats this about 8.8s? I'm trying to 'restore' it, essentially keeping it factory (factory upgrades not a prob even if it didnt come on it, its the oddball stuff from other cars), which is why i ask on these 8.8s, although they could be good in itself (i guess)

Edit: and what are "c-clips"?

and is there a difference between the bolt patterns on the pukegoat and the asin?

*comancheclub.com where even if you don't have a catchy slogan at the end, you're too late to realize you're done reading it anyway* :nuts:

Metric Ton spring source. Spring specs are:

o New manufactured Metric Tonne leaf spring

o Has the same specs as Jeep leaf spring part number 52003676

o Five leaf, three thinner top leafs and 2 heavier bottom leafs

o 1500 # load rating

o 130 - 275 spring rate, 9-5/8" arch

o 26" x 31" x 5-leaf, 2-1/2" wide

Price is $175/ea.

Link:

http://www.generalspringkc.com/leaf_spr ... eclub.html

Been running these for about 1-1/2 year now. No sag, ride great, gives about a 2-1/2" lift.

ah d35s then, bummer, as for the rest of it? transmission, transfer case?

Nothing special came with the Metric tonne package. But if you want an upgrade in strength over your Peugeot ranny, the AX-15 fits the bill. Or even stronger is the NV-3550 that came in the Jeeps 2000 and newer.

and whats this about 8.8s? I'm trying to 'restore' it, essentially keeping it factory (factory upgrades not a prob even if it didnt come on it, its the oddball stuff from other cars), which is why i ask on these 8.8s, although they could be good in itself (i guess)

The Exporer 8.8 is a very nice and very strong axle. It has the same 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern and it just a hair more narrow than a Dana 35. 95-00 Explorers also came with rear disk brakes.

Edit: and what are "c-clips"?

C-clips are one way to hold an axle shaft into the axle housing.

and is there a difference between the bolt patterns on the pukegoat and the asin?

Both bolt to 4.0L.

I have an 88 Metric tonne.

I throw a couple of empty D-35 housings in the back to keep the ride at least respectable.

But, that being said I have over 2800 lbs in the MJ before. Its not real fun to start with the mighty 3.07 gears. Not real fun to stop either.

I am the second owner, and I have 261k on the odometer, My MJ had its Pugeot replaced with another Pugeot at 140k.(PO did that, yet another reason to NEVER buy a truck from an engineer)

There's a few of us here in TX. I live in Magnolia, Duner lives in Houston, 88swampedmj lives up in Garland, and I know there are a couple others on here. Maybe we can all get together and plan a big wheeling trip someday. :D

I'm Also in San Antonio Live Near Ingram & 410