86 fuel sender assembly

I don't know the part numbers off of my head, for pumps, so hopefully someone else can assist.

As far as the sender, new ones are non existant for the 2.5L (junkyard trip will he needed). There has been a NOS 2.8L v6 sender floating around on ebay.
86-90 2.5L senders are compatible.
84-86 2.8L senders are compatible.

What engine do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1986-1990 is essentially the same sender signal and plugs. Now the 2.8 does not have the wiring for fuel pump however the plug case is still three terminal just the 2.8 lacks the power for the fuel pump.

91 up Jeep’s the ohms for full and empty are reversed, so empty read like full and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have not tried it yet but after studying all my fuel senders 86-92 mj(I have them all and multiples and at one point owned more than 30 mj senders at once) xj 87-2001. I can say the 86 mj hanger should easily be made to work with 87-90 mj. The hanger bracket itself is near identical to the 87. To me it looks like they reengineered it to be better supported mostly. The 86's kinda dangle more from the hoses. The potentimeters can be disassembled and float arms swapped out for lwb to swb. The same goes for h.o. however it's a 30 second job and a piece of cake. Finding lwb h.o. mj senders seems tough for me. I don't know if this is the case for anyone else though. I spoke with Kyrustyballer and showed him in my garage 1 night. I walked him through it and suggested he made float arms to sell for h.o. mjs. Its just some easy bends guys. Anybody could do this with pliers, thick enough wire and a proper cork float. I've tried telling people this but I think they think I'm crazy or full of b.s. I dunno my hangers rust out. I don't know how many I have brought back that the leads just need cleaned and the contact points with the paper thin hair on a nats butt arch of potentimeter and whalla back in business. Sometimes that arc just needs a little help bend since its worn over the years. If anybody has a spare, take it apart and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:21 PM, AZJeff said:

OP---If you need one, I have a New Old Stock sender/pickup tube assembly I would sell to you have a very reasonable price.   Just say the word.

I wish I would have seen this before I "built" one. And by "built" I mean using the old assembly work with a new sending unit and pump.

Basically yes but ebay say it fits MJ...    Sorry for the double post                                                                                                                                                                                                                               https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-SF8953002492-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-86-87-Comanche-23-5-Gallon/183280706816?fits=Year%3A1986|Model%3AComanche|Submodel%3ACustom|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L|Make%3AJeep|Trim%3ACustom+Standard+Cab+Pickup+2-Door|Engine%3A2.5L+150Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+OHV+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item2aac61a500:g:GW0AAOSwDZ1bKE29:rk:11:pf:0

17 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Did you cobble one together from an XJ sender?

14 minutes ago, bubbanbrenda said:

Basically yes but ebay say it fits MJ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-SF8953002492-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-86-87-Comanche-23-5-Gallon/183280706816?fits=Year%3A1986|Model%3AComanche|Submodel%3ACustom|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L|Make%3AJeep|Trim%3ACustom+Standard+Cab+Pickup+2-Door|Engine%3A2.5L+150Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+OHV+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item2aac61a500:g:GW0AAOSwDZ1bKE29:rk:11:pf:0

On 12/9/2018 at 10:17 PM, Nicholas said:

I have an 86 and I’m changing out the fuel pump and possibly the sender assembly as well. I am wondering what years are interchangeable?

I'm working on a '86 too,(2.5) I used a "Carter P90034" pump absolutely everything included in the box including the little rubber insulator and bracket to secure it to the original stand. For the sending unit I used one of these....https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OUT-OF-BOX-SF8953002492-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-86-87-Comanche-23-5-Gallon/183280706816?fits=Year%3A1986|Model%3AComanche|Submodel%3ACustom|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L|Make%3AJeep|Trim%3ACustom+Standard+Cab+Pickup+2-Door|Engine%3A2.5L+150Cu.+In.+l4+GAS+OHV+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item2aac61a500:g:GW0AAOSwDZ1bKE29:rk:11:pf:0      I took the sending unit off the new stand and put it on the original stand it's an exact match as far as mounting tabs are positioned. I used a little basic creative engineering to get it switched. I'll post a couple of pictures of how I did it if anyone is interested after the holiday, it's about to get busy around here.

I started with the eBay sending unit.I bent the small metal tab between plastic lock tabs up 90°. Then squeezed the plastic plastic lock tabs with needle nose pliers and wiggled the plastic housing a little bit and it slid off the float arm. Then I GENTLY bent the round end of the arm that holds the float to get the float off of the arm. Then I slid the arm out of the eBay stand working towards the end of the arm holding the float. Then I basically reversed the whole process in order with the exception of removing the float. I completely reassembled the sending unit making sure the float arm is between the high and low stops. Then I put the float back in the round end of the arm and GENTLY squeezed the loop to secure the float. In hindsight removing the float first will be a lot easier than trying to hold the sending unit and unattached arm and trying to gently bend the arm without distorting it. Also on reassembly make absolutely sure you have the float arm between the stops before you bend the little metal tab back down to secure the plastic lock tabs or you will be doing it twice. The last statement is the voice of experience.

20181224_140105.jpg

Screenshot_20181225-095255_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181225-095401_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20181225-095715_Gallery.jpg

20181213_094631.jpg

With that being an XJ sender, it should work if you don't have the baffle in the tank. You just won't be able to utilize all of the fuel in your tank as the sender won't reach to the bottom.

With that being an XJ sender, it should work if you don't have the baffle in the tank. You just won't be able to utilize all of the fuel in your tank as the sender won't reach to the bottom.

I took my old sender out and of the truck and it was the same part number, they used to offer with the pump and without. Now it’s only with so it has to work

13 hours ago, Big Dan said:

10 hours ago, murdamanche said:

I took my old sender out and of the truck and it was the same part number, they used to offer with the pump and without. Now it’s only with so it has to work

That is what several people told me both here and in my local parts store, that's why I chose to build my own. The actual sending units are the same, it's the bends in the arm and the shape of the float on the end of the arm will hit the baffle in the Comanche tank. Murdamanche will be able to use all the fuel in the tank but the float is going to hit the baffle and stop it from reading below about 1/4 tank on the gauge. As long as he is aware that his gauge will not show empty and refuels when it his a 1/4 tank he'll be ok.

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, AAAAAutomotive Parts Guy said:

This is an old thread, but I thought I would post up that we have the original Mopar tank senders in stock.  Seems like you guys are looking hard and not finding them?  Check out: https://aaaaautomotive.com/products/nos-86-jeep-comanche-fuel-tank-sending-unit-assy-23-5-gallon-tank-52003652

the 86 carb senders don't have provisions for the fuel pump that most MJs need. :( 

On 3/9/2022 at 4:25 PM, AAAAAutomotive Parts Guy said:

This is an old thread, but I thought I would post up that we have the original Mopar tank senders in stock.  Seems like you guys are looking hard and not finding them?  Check out: https://aaaaautomotive.com/products/nos-86-jeep-comanche-fuel-tank-sending-unit-assy-23-5-gallon-tank-52003652

Just ordered one from y'all. Installing a new tank and was gonna reuse the old one, but a NOS for $85 it's too good to pass up.