leak at the fuse box

i recently bought an 87 4.0 and stripped the interior trying to eliminate a bunch of water leaks.  i found my last one and it is leaking at the wiring harness fuse box connector.  i pulled the junction apart and the gasket is gone.  i tried using 3M strip caulk to fill in some gaps but it is still leaking, has anyone repaired something like this or does anyone have any ideas. 

I've tried a few different ways to seal that stupid connector with mixed results at best. If someone comes up with something that isn't "figure out what obscure long-obsolete connector AMC decided to buy a bunch of and source a new gasket for it" I want to hear about it.

One thing I haven't tried is to get a piece of gasket paper and try to make a copy of the gasket. If I recall correctly the gasket is actually a fairly complex design. Might be tough to cut out a good copy from paper.

For what it's worth, that junction in the firewall was eventually changed to a design which was more watertight (I think they eliminated the bulkhead connector and just replaced it with a big grommet). Around '94 I believe.

23 hours ago, Minuit said:

I've tried a few different ways to seal that stupid connector with mixed results at best. If someone comes up with something that isn't "figure out what obscure long-obsolete connector AMC decided to buy a bunch of and source a new gasket for it" I want to hear about it.

One thing I haven't tried is to get a piece of gasket paper and try to make a copy of the gasket. If I recall correctly the gasket is actually a fairly complex design. Might be tough to cut out a good copy from paper.

For what it's worth, that junction in the firewall was eventually changed to a design which was more watertight (I think they eliminated the bulkhead connector and just replaced it with a big grommet). Around '94 I believe.

Which one is leaking Min? Your HO or Renix?

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

Which one is leaking Min? Your HO or Renix?

The 91 has leaked off and on since I can remember. When I redid the interior I ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the connector, but in really heavy rain it occasionally seeps a little bit of water under the fusebox. I can't stand caulking things up like that, so next time I feel like it I think I'll try cutting a new gasket out of some gasket material.

I'm sure the one in the 89 leaks too but the water all runs out the hole in the floor so I don't think I'd ever notice.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:17 PM, Minuit said:

The 91 has leaked off and on since I can remember. When I redid the interior I ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the connector, but in really heavy rain it occasionally seeps a little bit of water under the fusebox. I can't stand caulking things up like that, so next time I feel like it I think I'll try cutting a new gasket out of some gasket material.

I'm sure the one in the 89 leaks too but the water all runs out the hole in the floor so I don't think I'd ever notice.

I don't know what gasket you are referring to. The bulkhead (firewall) connector consists of components 11-16 on the diagram. There's no gasket. Is that the area where it's leaking?   :confused:

BulkheadConnector.jpg.9426e61403d953216b23c1616f7845a0.jpg

I had an issue of leaks from that area. I used black Polyurethane used for windshields to seal around the fuse-box. I also used the silver sheet plastic for insulation in the house, I wrapped it around the plug and secured with a tie wrap. Don't forget to check the Master Cylinder above it, that has only a sponge seal, mine leaked. I pulled it out and used the Polyurethane there also. No leaks at all after that.

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

I don't know what gasket you are referring to. The bulkhead (firewall) connector consists of components 11-16 on the diagram. There's no gasket. Is that the area where it's leaking?   :confused:

BulkheadConnector.jpg.9426e61403d953216b23c1616f7845a0.jpg

There is a gasket. It's just not in the parts manual for some reason.

For a redneck fix, and because I had some laying around, I stopped my leak by using butyl sealing tape.  I left it decently thick so it would squash and fill all of the voids, and then did my best to trim away some excess that  squished out.   Doesn't leak anymore, although I will admit that it might be a total pain in the rear to get it out again.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834-1-Butyl-Seal-Tape/dp/B07CQ54S8R?th=1

As one who uses sealants all the time.................

Silicone, with one or two exceptions, is useless. Silicone, in any form,  should NEVER come in contact with an automobile. 

The polyurethane, just know that you'll likely have to cut the bulkhead off the firewall if you ever need to remove it again. 

Butyl is solvent based, any oil or gas or solvent will break it down. 

Making gaskets is cheap and easy.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/31939655

Or call Painless. 

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

I've had mine apart just to coat the connector mating edges with dielectric grease. Wern't no gasket in there on my 91.  :dunno:

That's weird. I know it took me a while to notice that there was one on mine because at first it looked like it was just part of the connector. I'll take a pic of it next time I have the connector apart.