Jeep "Pioneer" name

schardein

So, just for the sake of discussion...

I saw an early Jeep Cherokee in the JY yesterday with Pioneer trim.  I thought to myself, that is a cool name for a trim package for a Jeep.  Why do they (Jeep) not still use it?

I did a quick google and only found Pioneer trim levels in reference to Cherokee and Comanche, which is what I am familiar with and expected.

Wondering, does anyone else think Pioneer is a cool name for a trim level for a Jeep?  Does Jeep still "own" the rights to it?  Has it been used on any other models of Jeep?

Picture added just because.

Anyone else find it a little ironic they used "Pioneer" to name a trim package of a model name that references Indians?  Never really thought about that until now.  Someone would certainly throw a fit if they did that today. 

It's certainly a good name for a vehicle trim.  Could very well be used for a vehicle that is a pioneer of some feature or technology. 

I'm not sure about any rights being associated with a trim package name, but typically I wouldn't expect a company like Jeep to let any of their rights expire in our lifetime. 

29 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Anyone else find it a little ironic they used "Pioneer" to name a trim package of a model name that references Indians?  Never really thought about that until now.  Someone would certainly throw a fit if they did that today.

Ha, true.  Kind of like Liberty Limited :shaking:

45 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

though it is still more politically correct than Comanche Eliminator. :D  

49 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

"Scout" might have been a better name than "Pioneer," but International Harvester had dibs on that one through the 80s.  A Comanche Scout would have been a nice companion to the Chief model.

"Comanche Eliminator" is a real curiosity.  I imagine that would make for an awkward drive through the many reservations we have here in So. AZ.  lol...

4 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

"Scout" might have been a better name than "Pioneer," but International Harvester had dibs on that one through the 80s.  A Comanche Scout would have been a nice companion to the Chief model.

Now that would be pretty cool.