Ax-4 and 242j??

I want to take a 242 j from a 96 xj with a 4.0 ax 15 and install on my 89 mj 2.5l with an ax-4 Can I make the it work with minimal effort (bolt.right up)? Not worth the effort? Any Knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The gear cut changed around 93 so you have to be careful swapping inputs, you can't mix early and late parts.

You should be able to convert a 96 case to 21 spline by using an input from a 94 or newer 231 from a 2.5l rig.

15 minutes ago, mnkyboy said:

The gear cut changed around 93 so you have to be careful swapping inputs, you can't mix early and late parts.

You should be able to convert a 96 case to 21 spline by using an input from a 94 or newer 231 from a 2.5l rig.

These gears would be from a 1990 

Wiggilez

Thanks for the great information I live in the Hampton roads area of va i would love to get that part if your in the area. I would gladly give cash or trade other parts. I currently have that 242 on an automatic ax15 that is supposably bad. So for my next question. Should I keep my loveable ax-4 and try to swap the 242 or change the bell housing and drop in the ax15 after rebuild. Both parts can go for 150 new( the bell housing or the 21 splin from the 90's)

My build is for nothing.more then a fun driving pavement princess.

The np242/231 is stupid easy to take apart just keep track. I'd never done it before until I needed a new chain. Get one of the large black rtv tubes for a caulking gun and a new oil slinger. After that it's just remember how the Legos went together.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk