AX15 Swap parts list

I searched and couldn't find an actual full parts list.

I'm putting in a 1998 XJ ax15 into my 87 Comanche (88 engine wiring)

I'm doing a 4.0 swap so I have a 94 4.0 and a 98 ax15.

I'm using my 88 engine wiring and sensors onto the 4.0 (cruiser's help) and need to make sure I get the correct parts before pulling the bullet.

I'm going to need a 98 clutch kit (probably lux), an 88 renix flywheel, this slave cylinder etc. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1136086&cc=1180213&jsn=1, pilot bushing - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=628303&cc=1309441&jsn=3.

What else do I need for this swap?

Thanks

I did a similar swap awhile back. Here is some of the take aways from my experience.

External Slave, 98’ Jeep Cherokee Install

-Due to the differences between the Renix era and newer OBDI/OBDII computer systems, when installing the clutch system the Renix era fly wheel and CPS sensor must be used with the newer transmission. 

-When Chrysler changed from the internal slave setup to the external slave, the transmission input shaft diameter was changed meaning if you are using an external slave AX-15 in an older 4.0L a new pilot bearing may be in order. BA10/5 and internal slave AX-15s have a pilot bearing with an ID of 0.5934 inches, OD of 1.055 inches, and depth of 0.719 inches (OE part number 53009181).  External slave AX-15s have a pilot bearing with an ID of 0.7518 inches, OD of 1.8161 inches, and depth of 0.719 inches (OE part number 33004041).

-I read on multiple conversion threads that  73’ CJ, 350 V8 pilot bearing is recommended when using an external AX-15 in an older 4.0L. It has an ID of 0.751 inches, OD of 1.056 inches, and depth of 0.88 inches (National part number PB77HD or Dorman part number 14674). But in my personal case I found the 73’ CJ pilot had too large an OD to fit into the back of the engine, I found that the external AX-15 pilot bearing that came with the 98 Clutch kit fit into the space, so I am running that one. 

-As mentioned you will need a matching 23 spline transferase. The transferase input shaft bearing comes in three sizes, short, medium(rare), and long. For the XJ AX15 you'll want the short shaft length don't have part numbers.

-The slave cylinder you have listed will not work without modification, as the master cylinder will need to have the firewall modified to mount it. You can use an internal slave cylinder for the MJ and Advanced Adapters sells hydraulic fittings (716130 : Master Cylinder Fitting for Jeep YJ Wrangler and 716130F  and Slave Cylinder Fitting (-3 style x 7/16" inverted flare)) and a stainless steel braided clutch line (716130H : Stainless Hose 42" Length), or the whole kit (P/N#716340) to connect the internal slave clutch master cylinder to an external slave cylinder.

-The throwout bearing and shift fork.

- And finally you will need to rewire you back up light pig tail plug, as the style of plug changed between the BA/10 and AX15, to have backup lights.

All good points, Agamble.

One observation, the 98 master cylinder is taller, longer, and the bolt pattern are diff from the earlier master cyl.  I remember reading that the 98+ master cyl will interfere with the brake booster or intake ( I don't remeber which).

3 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

All good points, Agamble.

One observation, the 98 master cylinder is taller, longer, and the bolt pattern are diff from the earlier master cyl.  I remember reading that the 98+ master cyl will interfere with the brake booster or intake ( I don't remeber which).

The bolt pattern on the fire wall is different. You would need to drill our a new hole to allow it to mount correctly. I misquoted earlier. The advanced adapters hydraulic fittings allow you to use the correct mounting clutch master cylinder.

Wow. Just what I needed! Thank you so much! I'm going to do my searching for the input shaft on the tcase. I just counted my tcase in the shop and it's a 21 spline so I guess it's time to go shopping. sad.png

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, agamble said:

I did a similar swap awhile back. Here is some of the take aways from my experience.

-Due to the differences between the Renix era and newer OBDI/OBDII computer systems, when installing the clutch system the Renix era fly wheel and CPS sensor must be used with the newer transmission. 

-When Chrysler changed from the internal slave setup to the external slave, the transmission input shaft diameter was changed meaning if you are using an external slave AX-15 in an older 4.0L a new pilot bearing may be in order. BA10/5 and internal slave AX-15s have a pilot bearing with an ID of 0.5934 inches, OD of 1.055 inches, and depth of 0.719 inches (OE part number 53009181).  External slave AX-15s have a pilot bearing with an ID of 0.7518 inches, OD of 1.8161 inches, and depth of 0.719 inches (OE part number 33004041).

-I read on multiple conversion threads that  73’ CJ, 350 V8 pilot bearing is recommended when using an external AX-15 in an older 4.0L. It has an ID of 0.751 inches, OD of 1.056 inches, and depth of 0.88 inches (National part number PB77HD or Dorman part number 14674). But in my personal case I found the 73’ CJ pilot had too large an OD to fit into the back of the engine, I found that the external AX-15 pilot bearing that came with the 98 Clutch kit fit into the space, so I am running that one. 

-As mentioned you will need a matching 23 spline transferase. The transferase input shaft bearing comes in three sizes, short, medium(rare), and long. For the XJ AX15 you'll want the short shaft length don't have part numbers.

-The slave cylinder you have listed will not work without modification, as the master cylinder will need to have the firewall modified to mount it. You can use an internal slave cylinder for the MJ and Advanced Adapters sells hydraulic fittings (716130 : Master Cylinder Fitting for Jeep YJ Wrangler and 716130F  and Slave Cylinder Fitting (-3 style x 7/16" inverted flare)) and a stainless steel braided clutch line (716130H : Stainless Hose 42" Length), or the whole kit (P/N#716340) to connect the internal slave clutch master cylinder to an external slave cylinder.

- And finally you will need to rewire you back up light pig tail plug, as the style of plug changed between the BA/10 and AX15, to have backup lights.

•  

can you put together a writeup for the DIY forum?   :D  

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

can you put together a writeup for the DIY forum?   :D  

It won't be exactly like the first go around, but when I get to that stage as I swap everything from my SWB to my LWB I can do a better job of documenting the process and getting some pictures.

11 minutes ago, agamble said:

It won't be exactly like the first go around, but when I get to that stage as I swap everything from my SWB to my LWB I can do a better job of documenting the process and getting some pictures.

:L:  

21 hours ago, agamble said:

•  

What modification?

3 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

What modification?

As I recall, the mounting holes do not line up directly. If you were to use the later model clutch master cylinder you would need to drill out a new hole in the fire wall to get it to bolt up correctly.

There's no difference between the 87 and 88, I have the same (Mopar) master/slave, it bolts right up. 
The one in the link is the one you have and it bolts up to your 98 ax15?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 4/21/2018 at 3:21 PM, Jeep Driver said:

There's no difference between the 87 and 88, I have the same (Mopar) master/slave, it bolts right up. 

I am pretty sure they are referring to the post-97 master cylinder set up, I know as I made the mistake before and ordered the 97 one only to realize it won't bolt up. anything from 96 and prior should work

51 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

g07J7xZ.jpg

I had asked if it was master cylinder only as I have contacted several sellers on ebay selling the mopar part, under that serial number.  They all stated it was master cylinder only.

8 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I had asked if it was master cylinder only as I have contacted several sellers on ebay selling the mopar part, under that serial number.  They all stated it was master cylinder only.

https://www.moparwebstore.com/p/Jeep__/Hydraulic-assembly--clutch-actuator-/42369207/52104110.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla