XJ seats to MJ

1 hour ago, Warren99 said:

I meant if I left the seat brackets from the bench in the floor, and just unbolted the bench, if the XJ seats would bolt right onto the MJ brackets.

You'll have to surgically remove the MJ bracket from the bench. 

Answer is no, you'll have to remove the brackets from the floor. 

You'll remove the brackets from the bench.

You'll remove the brackets from the buckets.

You'll attach the MJ brackets to the buckets.

Then you'll bolt the buckets to the floor. 

The brackets stay with the seat, not the floor. 

1 hour ago, Warren99 said:

Ok. Lol that took a really dumbed down version until I understood.:drool: Thanks for the help

If your XJ seats are from a 95 model, they will not directly bolt to your MJ bench brackets. XJ seat design changed in 1994.

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

If your XJ seats are from a 95 model, they will not directly bolt to your MJ bench brackets. XJ seat design changed in 1994.

This.

Once you start messing with XJ/MJ buckets, you will find that you have to remove the lower seat cushion to access the bolts to separate the seat frame from the seat bracket.  Bucket seats can be removed while leaving the bracket on the floor, (by removing the lower cushion first), but it's generally easier to pull the whole seat, then separate the brackets if needed.

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Ok. So I need to find XJ seats that are from before 94 do use my MJ bench brackets correct?

13 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

94 and earlier.

Hmm - thought it was 93 and earlier. Dirty's probably correct saying the 94 XJ seats will bolt to the MJ bucket and bench brackets, but when I compared the 93 and 94 XJ seat frames at the junkyard, the seat frame bolt patterns were different. Only the 93 and below XJ bucket seats bolted directly to my MJ bucket seat brackets w/o modifications.

6 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Hmm - thought it was 93 and earlier. Dirty's probably correct saying the 94 XJ seats will bolt to the MJ bucket and bench brackets, but when I compared the 93 and 94 XJ seat frames at the junkyard, the seat frame bolt patterns were different. Only the 93 and below XJ bucket seats bolted directly to my MJ bucket seat brackets w/o modifications.

Hmm.

I'd better check.  Not many XJs left in the junkyard here so I'm not sure if I'll find a 94 to check again.

I swear I used a set of 94 seats the one time...  But I go off whatever the yard wrote on the vehicle too, so that's not always accurate.

The parts manual shows different part numbers for the 93 and 94 XJ bucket seat base frames (the ordinary non-tilt frames), but that doesn't mean the bolt patterns are different - could be something else.

OP, to be absolutely certain the XJ bucket seats will fit, try to find 93 and below seats if possible unless you bring one of your bench brackets and match it up to a 94 seat. Would be good info I'd like to know for sure.  

In regards to the seat tilting forward- factory MJ buckets tilt forward by a lever on the side of the seat back.  XJ 4 door seats will bolt in and work, but won't tilt forward (only up to 93 or 94, per above comments).  XJ 2 door seats also tilt forward and are the preferred choice for MJ swaps, again up to a certain year (93 or 94?)  The later 2 door seats that I have seen, have the tilt forward lever at the crease of the seat (between bottom and top cushion) instead of on the side of the seat back.  That MAY help in determining which seats will bolt to your seat bases.  But I am not sure if that is a clear cut thing.

12 minutes ago, schardein said:

In regards to the seat tilting forward- factory MJ buckets tilt forward by a lever on the side of the seat back.  XJ 4 door seats will bolt in and work, but won't tilt forward (only up to 93 or 94, per above comments).  XJ 2 door seats also tilt forward and are the preferred choice for MJ swaps, again up to a certain year (93 or 94?)  The later 2 door seats that I have seen, have the tilt forward lever at the crease of the seat (between bottom and top cushion) instead of on the side of the seat back.  That MAY help in determining which seats will bolt to your seat bases.  But I am not sure if that is a clear cut thing.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. I will look for some 2-door seats, but they will probably be harder to find. I'm sure that when I do find some, they will be worth it!:D

8 minutes ago, Warren99 said:

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. I will look for some 2-door seats, but they will probably be harder to find. I'm sure that when I do find some, they will be worth it!:D

4 dr seats will work while you are looking for 2 door seats.  If you find 4 dr seats with the upholstery/color you want in good shape, get them.  When you find compatible 2 dr buckets, the upholstery might be trashed or wrong color, and you can swap the 4 dr covers on!  Then you just have to cut a slit for the tilt forward lever.

So you are really looking for two things- compatible seats frames and good upholstery.  They don't have to come from the same donor.

This is awesome info. Does anyone know if 84 to 86 xj buckets work as well? I have 3 sets without headrests. Some are the rocker slide type and Ive got the side trim. I pulled them because the front bracket looked identical to mj and figured I could at least use it for rusted out replacements.