2wd to 4x4 swap on 1988 4.0

I currently own a 1988 pioneer with the 4.0 and auto tranny.  I already lifted it 4.5" because I knew I would be wanting to convert. today I have found a 88 4x4 chief 4.0 for very cheap. should I have everything I need to make this happen with that truck if all the parts are in ok condition?

5 minutes ago, Master7122 said:

Yes, unless the chief is manual or if it’s the opposite wheel base as your current truck. Yes parts will still work either way but you run into different driveshaft lengths, spline counts... ect

The chief is the same wheel base but does indeed have a 5 speed manual in it. What would my options be at this point? is it even possible to convert to 4x4 while still keeping it an automatic?

I'd buy it and keep it, or sell it to another enthusiast.

Cut up an XJ to do your conversion instead.  Only thing you will need is a new rear driveshaft, and they're not that much to have built.

Or piece it together from multiple XJs or other donor vehicles.  That way you could get a better rear axle, a non-CAD front axle,  different gear ratios, a 242 transfer case, etc, as your heart desires.

39 minutes ago, SatiricalHen said:

I agree with not ripping apart Comanches if possible. Cherokees are much more abundant and had a few better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read my signature for my feelings on this issue ...

So I went pick up the chief yesterday morning. $400 and she’s all mine. Would only need a new fuel line and brakes to get her running from what the guy was telling and I can see from a quick look over besides the rusted floor boards. I know tearing her apart would anger the MJ gods but it also didn’t come with a title so I’m a little limited with what I can do with it. 

1 hour ago, fixerupper88 said:

So I went pick up the chief yesterday morning. $400 and she’s all mine. Would only need a new fuel line and brakes to get her running from what the guy was telling and I can see from a quick look over besides the rusted floor boards. I know tearing her apart would anger the MJ gods but it also didn’t come with a title so I’m a little limited with what I can do with it. 

You can't get a title? There's a procedure for doing that in Connecticut. I've gone through it twice.

Ok so come to find out, this bad boy had a new rebuilt motor from O’reilys installed 40k miles back and has the receipts for pretty much every part of the truck from front to back since then. Called a number I found on the paperwork and talked to the mechanic that did it (don’t know how that actually worked since paperwork was dated 2010) and he said the truck is solid as hell aside from the floorboards being rusted out from sitting in the grass for 2 years. So what was bought as a parts truck is starting to look like a second working Comanche :doh: 

On 2/18/2018 at 11:43 PM, fixerupper88 said:

Ok so come to find out, this bad boy had a new rebuilt motor from O’reilys installed 40k miles back and has the receipts for pretty much every part of the truck from front to back since then. Called a number I found on the paperwork and talked to the mechanic that did it (don’t know how that actually worked since paperwork was dated 2010) and he said the truck is solid as hell aside from the floorboards being rusted out from sitting in the grass for 2 years. So what was bought as a parts truck is starting to look like a second working Comanche :doh: 

88 MJ with a manual is likely the puke goate unfortunately.  I'd still give you $500 for it and come get it.  ;)  Also listen to the other members.  Buy a parts xj and do your conversion with it.  That is what I'm doing right now.  Picture is when I brought her home in 06.

com.jpg