Real Old Dude

youngfred

49 minutes ago, sinkrun said:

They should give you a new one in its place if you find the right dealer or mail it in.

I wouldn't do that.  I'd keep it, even if it's broken.

You may be able to find a NOS rebuild kit on eGay or GarageJournal if you really care.  Personally, it's a clunky old ratchet that has cool/historic value, but none for actual use.

I do have some 60s/70s vintage stuff that I use, but it's the exception rather than the rule, and certainly not ratchets.  The 'dual-80' ratchets are a lot nicer (T72/TL72/TX72/FX80/SX80 are the ones I have) than the old ones.  Bang for the buck Gearwrench is making some very nice stuff now though.

9 hours ago, sinkrun said:

They should give you a new one in its place if you find the right dealer or mail it in.

You're about to open a can of worms........:P

I inherited some of my uncle's Snapon, they will not warranty, not by truck, not by mail. 

I just threw away a dead-blow  hammer that broke. Without receipt you're screwed. 

They won't get any of my money. 

5 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

You're about to open a can of worms........:P

I inherited some of my uncle's Snapon, they will not warranty, not by truck, not by mail. 

I just threw away a dead-blow  hammer that broke. Without receipt you're screwed. 

They won't get any of my money. 

Interesting.  I've had no issue warrantying old stuff through my dealer, but it's only the odd item every now and then.  He grumbles about the guys that obviously are buying stuff on eBay and trying to warranty it, but only because they don't buy anything from him.  Strap-On doesn't look at the dealer warranty returns, they just weigh the package and check it against the known weight for what those things are, then into the shredder it goes.

14 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

You may be able to find a NOS rebuild kit on eGay or GarageJournal if you really care.  Personally, it's a clunky old ratchet that has cool/historic value, but none for actual use.

I do have some 60s/70s vintage stuff that I use, but it's the exception rather than the rule, and certainly not ratchets.  The 'dual-80' ratchets are a lot nicer (T72/TL72/TX72/FX80/SX80 are the ones I have) than the old ones.  Bang for the buck Gearwrench is making some very nice stuff now though.

~

Yea,

I wanted to keep it in good shape, for light-duty(motorcycle) use.

Historical Value is all it's worth, now. :thumbsup:

youngfred

54 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Pop on over to Garage Journal with that and watch them all drop a nut or two.....:laugh:

I created a scarcity of a certain type of small Snap-On toolbox by starting a thread on mine there.  Prices on eBay went up 400% overnight. They're a passionate bunch. :laugh:

22 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Yep, my last ratchet purchase was a gearwrench.