tailight upgrade

1 minute ago, DesertRat1991 said:

There are a handful of options that LOOK close, but all require some fabrication to make them work. 

Rusty's Offroad makes a steel housing that isn't cheap:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-metal-tail-light-housings-pair-mj-commanche.html

yeah I'm fine with building some but trying to keep the body side of things as "factory" as possible. I would love to put the 97+ taillights in but I think they are too rounded for the square body. do you know which ones look decent off hand?

3 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

There are a handful of options that LOOK close, but all require some fabrication to make them work. 

Rusty's Offroad makes a steel housing that isn't cheap:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-metal-tail-light-housings-pair-mj-commanche.html

These are sweet, I didn't know Rustys made them. Doesn't look like there's a reverse light though :/ 

Agree with Shelbyluv.  Keep your factory tails and either cut and solder the old plugs to the new wiring or do some dremel work on the 97+ XJ bulb plugs to fit the MJ housings.  Not only is it waaayy cheaper, it looks much better on the truck IMO. 

On mine I just dremeled the newer XJ plugs and they fit great. 

2 hours ago, crumbscomanche said:

These are sweet, I didn't know Rustys made them. Doesn't look like there's a reverse light though :/ 

Rusty's overseas C.R.A.P. supplier made them. They look like what they are - a poorly designed housing encasing a universal light LED fixture that costs $200.  

ra-mjth-1.jpg

15 hours ago, sinkrun said:

If wanting to keep it factory looking why not just keep the factory lights restore them if you want them to look new its not hard.

I like the look of the 97+ tails and I feel it would finish the 97+ conversion through the rear as well as most of the conversion is in the front\center. didn't know if you guys have figured anything out for this issue or not. 

15 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Early 90's Dodge Dakota lights look very similar to ours but don't quite fit.

Apparently, you can also get Cherokee tails to fit with enough blood, sweat, and fiberglass work:

Qf9T8Xj.jpg

nice manche by the way. I just picked up my first and its a 87 sportruck 2wd 4 cyl 4 speed as of right now

13 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Rusty's overseas C.R.A.P. supplier made them. They look like what they are - a poorly designed housing encasing a universal light LED fixture that costs $200.  

ra-mjth-1.jpg

$200.00 each if I read it correctly.