Window seals

I have a 87 MJ that has bad seals on the windows. My problem is I can't find the right outer glass seals. The seals go all the way to the mirror under the fixed vent window total of 28" The longest one I can find is 26". I must be doing something wrong? Should I be get a 2 door

XJ or a 4 door and does anybody have the correct p/n.  All of my rubber window parts are bad. I sure would appreciate so info.

Thanks

The ones I bought were cut too short and left gaps at both ends of the seals. I know the OEM have a slight gap, but this is just a little much for a brand new part. I have wind noise from them now that goes away any time I put my arm up on the door. The outers never really seated properly in their clips and tended to either pop up or sink down into the door.

I'm done with aftermarket parts unless I have absolutely no other option.

Do they cover all the way to the mirror under the fixed vent. Mine go all the way across. When I put in the p/n it lists 3 different numbers listing a truck and 4 door models.  What am I going to get rear or front door ones? The last order I tried from Crysler there where a bunch of different numbers for same part and still got a rear door seal. If you open the part to see it and it's wrong you can't return it. So I don't need another $30 mistake. Just a little gun shy.

Those are for the front door outers. "4 door and truck" means that it's for the 4-door XJ and MJ doors.

The 84-96 seals do not reach all the way to the mirror. Both the inner and outer stop at the vent window, and the gaskets for the vent window take over from there.

I replaced my lower window seal (runs horizontally along the bottom of the glass) with junkyard 97+XJ seals.  Much better design and cost only a couple of bucks.  Takes a little trimming near the mirror, but SO worth it.  As for the vertical piece that runs along the front track (separating the triangle glass and the movable window glass), I pulled out the old brittle material and replaced it with home depot flat weather stripping.  Can't remember the exact size off the top of my head, but it was self adhesive and the PERFECT size.  I ran it inside all three sides of the U-channel.

I did only remove the old channel all the way down until about 1/4" from where it disappears inside the door.  It was not brittle there and in great shape once it entered the door interior, so I cut it off there.  This Home Depot weatherstrip has an adhesive back and I think the contact area where the glass is lightly ribbed.  

These two items are my favorite, most impressive mod so far,  I love it!  And cheap.  Made a HUGE improvement on wind noise.  All done and said, I'm probably at $15-18, both sides.

Thanks Minuit, I missed the separation  Between the trim piece the outer piece and the vent divider. They had been in there every since I bought the truck in 87. Looked like it was one piece. Now I have to find inside belt felt around Windows. Thanks again

I to used the 97+xj and just cut to fit, worked great. I replaced the entire door seal on the cab with a yj seal. Wasn't sure if it was going to work took a gamble. It worked, door was a little hard too get closed all the way at first but soon the rubber took the contour of the door. Works pretty good nice and thick. Not sure what year yj I pulled it off of but it was a newer one 2000+. Could you shoot a pic of you Home Depot molding? I'd like to see what you did. I've got another MJ to do. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

old thread, but I found all of the rubber for my MJ at Summit. The inner and outer wipes that go on the bottom of the window opening are all available from Crown (through Summit and other retailers) and the Fairchild kit handles the rest of the opening.  

image.png.14646aea9d03af0120dc8bd5a8dbe4a2.png

i replaced mine with the strips from a Dodge truck, its the same as most of the later Jeep strips, after all, its Mopar.  Does require some cutting and fitting but a  Dremel tool makes it fairly easy and gives you a reason to buy a new Dremel.

• 1 year later...

Anyone know where I would be able to find the vent window seals? I can't find MJ or XJ specific seals anywhere. I have the moveable vent windows and every time it rains I'm finding puddles on my floor. Since I've already replaced the floor pans once, I'd like to avoid doing it again.